Vogelzang VG-5790

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurlus

Nov 19, 2014
Honesdale, PA
I'm not going to make a horribly long drawn out post about every problem I had with now 2 of these stoves unless people want more info but here's a review I posted on Tractor Supply and Amazon concerning these stoves and US Stove company.

I purchased one of these VG-5790's from Tractor Supply in early November, installed it on 11/16 and had problems from day 1. My unit was burning 3 bags a day on low and producing very little heat, after messing with it for a couple days I contacted US Stove.

It took me until the 20th to get a hold of anyone at the company then all they asked for was my warranty info. On the 25th I finally got an email asking me what Customer Support and I had decided they needed to send me to fix my problem. A week later they sent me a repaired Control Board in the mail, which was a hack job. If you ever, ever receive any electronics like this, please do not use it. Pictures will be included in the review.

Notice the excess solder on the main trace across the board and all of the FLUX residue covering the board. Any FLUX on a circuit board is a defective product and cannot be sold, even your Alarm Clock made in China has to pass that standard. USStove authorized ME to repair it MYSELF. Once repaired and installed, the original board that came with the stove was actually in worse condition than the replacement, but at least then it only burned 2 bags a day, on low.

Customer service, after a month of burning 3 bags a day, finally broke down and sent me a new one. The one I received operates even worse than the original one.

I’ve been attempting to contact them since 1/1/2015 but they won’t return my calls or emails, I finally filed a BBB complaint and made a Youtube video. Note the link to the BBB site which gives USStove Company an “F” Rating.

As today is 1/12 I have used 3 pallets of pellets since 11/16 and my propane fireplace is doing the bulk of the heating. This stove is excellent at taking bags of pellets and turning them into pounds of ash.

Do not buy from US STOVE!

Be sure to check out the vid to see how these VG-5790's run. I'll be posting another soon of my friends VG-5790 that actually runs the right way.

Attachments

• IMG_20141213_101251_602.jpg
    IMG_20141213_101251_602.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_20141213_101312_333.jpg
    IMG_20141213_101312_333.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_20141202_155719_115.jpg
    IMG_20141202_155719_115.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_20141202_155751_359.jpg
    IMG_20141202_155751_359.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_20141202_155807_720.jpg
    IMG_20141202_155807_720.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 625
Have you tried different pellets? Some feed significantly faster than others. Also, it looks Ile to me you have too much combustion air, is there a way to adjust it?

According to the manual there is a damper adjustment on the back left side of stove. I agree looks like way to much combustion air.

I have tried 8 different kinds of pellets. Insta-Heat, Lignetics, Hamer's, Dry Creek, just to name a few.

It is getting way to much air but here's the funny thing, I've gone to the extent of putting aluminum foil over the intake and restricting the air flow way down, it does give me a bigger flame but it doesn't put out any more heat nor does it slow down the feed rate. The damper on the back of the stove is the air intake damper, which fully closed is designed to be halfway open. In the video I posted, I have it completely closed and yet it's still getting way to much air. Same thing as the last stove.

I've been on the bourbon since 5 this afternoon and that is why I will say this, I would never buy a stove from tractor supply, lowes or HD. No need for me to describe in detail. You veterans know. And you veterans know how to fix a chitty stove from Tractor Supply, Lowes or HD. We, the average citizens, DO NOT. Thats all, over.

EDIT: Kurlus, this is in NO WAY to insult you. It's just that I almost bought a chitty stove from Lowes. I would have I think, at the time, but thank the ALMIGHTY LORD that the salesman was less knowledgeable than this stove rookie.

Reactions: Kurlus
Been burning a wood stove sold by HD since 2006 as the sole heat source for this barn. Pellet stove from Lowe's heats the basement when I need to work down there. Since 2008.

Ain't had to fix either one of them.

I have been on the single malt since nine o'clock. Bourbon is mouse piss. ;lol

Reactions: jss227
Been burning a wood stove sold by HD since 2006 as the sole heat source for this barn. Pellet stove from Lowe's heats the basement when I need to work down there. Since 2008.

God Bless you brother!!!

No offense taken. I bought VG-5790 based on reviews and it was in my price range. I couldn't afford a $4000 Harman this year LOL. I just wanted something that would get me through a couple years until I can afford something decent. Hopefully the BBB pulls thru and I get a refund otherwise I'm not above driving the 829.1 miles from my home in PA to their business in TN. I've been very nice this whole time but if they wanna play hardball, they've picked the wrong person. I'll be there with this thing on the back of a truck when they open their shop one morning.

No offense taken. I bought VG-5790 based on reviews and it was in my price range. I couldn't afford a $4000 Harman this year LOL. I just wanted something that would get me through a couple years until I can afford something decent. Hopefully the BBB pulls thru and I get a refund otherwise I'm not above driving the 829.1 miles from my home in PA to their business in TN. I've been very nice this whole time but if they wanna play hardball, they've picked the wrong person. I'll be there with this thing on the back of a truck when they open their shop one morning.
Kurlus, it took me 5 years to finally get my stove. First I went to the dealers. After not having luck getting the right info from them I started researching and looking in the big stores all this while doing my own research. After figuring out that the big box stores do not posses the knowledge for me to purchase and get a stove Instaled in my fireplace, I went back to the specialty stove businesses finally getting a fireplace insert. It has been a long trip finally getting warmth. I think in the end you will be a better stove owner than I simply due to the experience you will gain by learning about your stove than someone like me.

EDIT: I too did and still enjoy scotches and single malts, but tonight with the break with this cold I'm celebrating with some Makers!

Reactions: Billdern and Kurlus
We'll see I guess. Like I said I hope I get a refund so I can go buy another cheap POS lol. Was looking at the Pleasant Hearth PH50CABPS to get me thru the rest of this year, definitely nothing more from US Stove Company

I'll be there with this thing on the back of a truck when they open their shop one morning.

Be careful. I had a defect in my first 30-NC. Told Mike at ESW that if I got frustrated enough I would drive down there and dump it in their parking lot. Mike said he had heard that before but that he would come out of the office with a piece of rebar in his hand. ;lol

Went down and met my friend Mike, big enough that he doesn't need the rebar, and picked up the new stove. He was going to ship it to me but I got in a hurry and it was only 143 miles from here.

I'm not threatening but if they don't want to talk to me on the phone, they can talk to me in person. I'm married with 3 kids, $1500 is a fortune to me.

Sounds to me like your liver could be used for armor plate......... Alcohol (gelled) makes great fire starter but don't do much for your organs or disposition.

Personally speaking, I believe the Vogelzang line is the cheapo line at USSC. Far as driving there, they are in Tennesee so it's a haul from Pennsyltucky.

When you buy cheap, all you can expect is cheap.

For giggles and such have you measured the juice going to the combustion blower at each heat range setting and timed the auger or verified the augers rotation rate?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
For giggles and such have you measured the juice going to the combustion blower at each heat range setting and timed the auger or verified the augers rotation rate?

Not wanting to bet on that....... IOW, probably not.

A big Thank You goes out to Owen on the forums. He got my problem moving again and hopefully soon to a peaceful resolution. I'll keep you all updated.

A big Thank You goes out to Owen on the forums. He got my problem moving again and hopefully soon to a peaceful resolution. I'll keep you all updated.

Hope you get this sorted.

I sent a message yesterday to Owen when I saw this post and asked if he could help you to get this resolved.

Keep us updated.

There's no doubt that there is a problem with the two stoves you had. Hopefully they expedite the refund of your money. Looks like your installation is straight forward so it doesn't appear to be a venting or intake air issue. Regardless of the installation there is no reason the stove should eat 2 bags a day on the lowest manual setting. This company has quality problems that the average tinkerer doesn't have the capability to correct and shouldn't have to. Maybe the company has workers that drink Bourbon on the job, I don't know but it's plausible.
Now, there is absolutely no reason not buy from the BB stores if you're willing to tinker a bit and are able to make some adjustments (which it sounds like you are) to get the best performance from a lower priced stove that has been a proven performer. When I bought my new, but out of production for several years, Englander Home Depot stove, I wanted to see what made it tick so I broke out a few tools. I had to tighten up a few screws, vacuum up some loose weld slag, tie up a few wires and add some extra RTV where I thought necessary. The stove heats my 1800sf home to 70+ degrees even with temps outside temps down to single digits. The highest pellet use I have seen is 1 bag per day and usualy will go 2 days on a bag. The highest heat level I need to use is 5 but most of the time it is on 1 or 2.
Some people have too much money and feel the need to buy Salvatore Ferragamo Loafers so they don't ever have to bend over but I prefer to learn to tie my shoes. Personally when it comes to stoves, I would rather keep a few grand in my pocket and tinker a bit.

There's no doubt that there is a problem with the two stoves you had. Hopefully they expedite the refund of your money. Looks like your installation is straight forward so it doesn't appear to be a venting or intake air issue. Regardless of the installation there is no reason the stove should eat 2 bags a day on the lowest manual setting. This company has quality problems that the average tinkerer doesn't have the capability to correct and shouldn't have to. Maybe the company has workers that drink Bourbon on the job, I don't know but it's plausible.
Now, there is absolutely no reason not buy from the BB stores if you're willing to tinker a bit and are able to make some adjustments (which it sounds like you are) to get the best performance from a lower priced stove that has been a proven performer. When I bought my new, but out of production for several years, Englander Home Depot stove, I wanted to see what made it tick so I broke out a few tools. I had to tighten up a few screws, vacuum up some loose weld slag, tie up a few wires and add some extra RTV where I thought necessary. The stove heats my 1800sf home to 70+ degrees even with temps outside temps down to single digits. The highest pellet use I have seen is 1 bag per day and usualy will go 2 days on a bag. The highest heat level I need to use is 5 but most of the time it is on 1 or 2.
Some people have too much money and feel the need to buy Salvatore Ferragamo Loafers so they don't ever have to bend over but I prefer to learn to tie my shoes. Personally when it comes to stoves, I would rather keep a few grand in my pocket and tinker a bit.

Jesus man. Talk about nailing it right on the head. I did the same with this 5502M as you did. I read up on it here and a couple other places, made the proper corrections and have had a real heat machine because of it. And I have cash in my pocket still. My US Stove product came from TSC and I feel I got good value for my money. A few tie wraps, some RTV, and 1 cotter pin later I was in business.

I don't think so. You sure as hell can't hunt with them. I thought my Kennetreks were expensive hunting boots at 400 bucks a pair...sheeeeesh.

I think if you can afford 600 buck loafers, a low buck stove is just that, low buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.