vista Classic salvage. Baffle and Firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 16, 2015
bc canada
hi I have vista classic I got off someone else. It is missing the firebrick completely and the ceramic baffle when you look down in the collar from the top is fully visible. Is there supposed to be a stainless layer in there ? Any tips on where and how to choose firebrick for this ? never did that before and though maybe someone on here has the same stove. Thanks

The Vista has pumice firebrick. If there is no ash cleanout then all the bricks are standard sized. If there is an ash cleanout then just cut down a brick. I think there is an insulation blanket on this model. Is that what you are seeing. There is a baffle in the stove, right?

The Vista has pumice firebrick. If there is no ash cleanout then all the bricks are standard sized. If there is an ash cleanout then just cut down a brick. I think there is an insulation blanket on this model. Is that what you are seeing. There is a baffle in the stove, right?

Hi. thanks for the reply !

When I look in the top of the stove I see a blanked of insulation. When I look in the door of the stove there is a a thing with holes in in, hopefully that is baffle. I don't see side insulation. I see some models that maybe an extra piece.. hum.

Sounds like the baffle is there. There should be a strip of side insulation along the sides of the baffle. This acts as a gasket to keep flue gases going around the baffle.

Sounds like the baffle is there. There should be a strip of side insulation along the sides of the baffle. This acts as a gasket to keep flue gases going around the baffle.
I will probably remove the baffle and have a look. Hope I won't ruin the top blanet inside of there. Is there supposed to be a flame guard or something on top of the insulation when looking down and in ? Also any reason not to just use some regular refractory fire bricks if you have them already ?

I will probably remove the baffle and have a look. Hope I won't ruin the top blanet inside of there. Is there supposed to be a flame guard or something on top of the insulation when looking down and in ? Also any reason not to just use some regular refractory fire bricks if you have them already ?
You should be able to feel it alongside the baffle without removal.

Regular firebrick will probably work, but the stove is designed with pumice bricks and that's what should be used. They help insulate the firebox and keep the fire hotter. Putting in regular brick will void testing data like clearance and hearth requirements.