Visited The Store - Woodstove Report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I've been traveling this week and had a chance to visit a few woodstove dealers to see what thay stocked and what I found intersting.

Firstly - it's amazing how much heat these new stoves (compared to the ones I grew-up with) can put out so much heat with such small fireboxes!

I saw several Hearthstone soapstone woodstoves. I believe one of the stoves was an equinox. It was a superlarge firebox with an 8 inch flue. What was interesting/different about this stove was the side door open down - like a electric range door.

Jotul: I saw a F400 and F500 stove. The physical size didn't seem that different between the two - though I am sure the F500 puts out more heat and has longer burn time. I continue to be very impressed with Jotul woodstoves - AND they are VERY easy on the eyes.

Quadrafire Isle Royle: This is a serious looking heater. Big firebox, top loading too. The top/back of the firebox seemed a little tight compared with the bottom, but all in all a very nice stove.

Vermont Castings Defiant: Nice looking stove, great ash pan, thermostat, top loading and a VERY LARGE firebox. That stove could hold a BIG load of wood. If they got things straightened out, I think it would be on my list of stoves to buy - if I ever win the lottery.

Thanks!
Bill

I stopped in a stove store today to look at those Big Green Egg type grills. One of these days I'm getting one. While I was there I had to look over the stoves of course and the best looking stove there was a VC Encore 2 in 1. The sales guy said they have sold quite a few and have had no complaints or problems like the old VC's which is good to hear. I still say they are the best looking cast stove out there.

They also had a Jotul Oslo in black which is a good looker as well. Was hoping they had a TL-50 I could look over but they didn't, allthough he did say he could order one in and let me know when it arrives so I can take a look. The way I buy stoves I told him you better not, I have to wait a few years at least.

leeave96 said:
I've been traveling this week and had a chance to visit a few woodstove dealers to see what thay stocked and what I found intersting.

Firstly - it's amazing how much heat these new stoves (compared to the ones I grew-up with) can put out so much heat with such small fireboxes!

I saw several Hearthstone soapstone woodstoves. I believe one of the stoves was an equinox. It was a superlarge firebox with an 8 inch flue. What was interesting/different about this stove was the side door open down - like a electric range door.

Jotul: I saw a F400 and F500 stove. The physical size didn't seem that different between the two - though I am sure the F500 puts out more heat and has longer burn time. I continue to be very impressed with Jotul woodstoves - AND they are VERY easy on the eyes.

Quadrafire Isle Royle: This is a serious looking heater. Big firebox, top loading too. The top/back of the firebox seemed a little tight compared with the bottom, but all in all a very nice stove.

Vermont Castings Defiant: Nice looking stove, great ash pan, thermostat, top loading and a VERY LARGE firebox. That stove could hold a BIG load of wood. If they got things straightened out, I think it would be on my list of stoves to buy - if I ever win the lottery.

Thanks!
Bill

The interesting thing is that the VC Defiant is listed as a 3.1 cu ft stove and the Equinox is listed as a 4 cu ft stove. To me, the Defiant looks like it has the larger firebox.

I have heard good reports about the new 2-in-1 stoves as well. In a perfect world, two of the new Woodstock stoves would make their way into my home, but I don't think the clearances will be reduced. So, I will probably purchase a Defiant at some point for the living room.

In the room with the big walk-in fireplace, I'd like to hold out for a cat stove (the Defiant or the new Woodstock would work), but the notion that I could get a big @ss heater in the Englander for about $900 might be tough to pass up in the next year. The T6 is also a possibility.

In regards to the burn times of the Defiant, the reports/reviews I've heard is that you will get a 10 hour burn from the stove during a normal burn cycle (from reload to peak back to a reload temp of 300°). That's interesting since VC claims a pretty high efficiency rate. You would think the burn times would be a bit longer.

Still, I'd be happy with 10 hours of actual heat production between reloads. I might need to bug BeGreen about burn times on the T6.

Now that you got me thinking about it, the Defiant did look as big as the Equinox. Maybe the Equinox is a split deeper and that's the difference. One thing about the Defiant is it looks like you could load it up to the lid with no problems. Firebox is pretty even in depth from front to back.

If they got this stove squared away, given all of it's features, it would be hard to beat - especially as a cat stove.

Bill

Don't assume they all measure fireboxes the same way!
I always found I was able to get more wood in a VC than most other stoves...we used to test them with wood (cold, of course) in the store all the time! Top loading definitely rules when it comes to large wood capacities.

Webmaster said:
Don't assume they all measure fireboxes the same way!
I always found I was able to get more wood in a VC than most other stoves...we used to test them with wood (cold, of course) in the store all the time! Top loading definitely rules when it comes to large wood capacities.

True. I know the Encore has a larger firebox than the Heritage even though they both have a claimed 2.3 cu ft firebox.

leeave96 said:
Now that you got me thinking about it, the Defiant did look as big as the Equinox. Maybe the Equinox is a split deeper and that's the difference. One thing about the Defiant is it looks like you could load it up to the lid with no problems. Firebox is pretty even in depth from front to back.

If they got this stove squared away, given all of it's features, it would be hard to beat - especially as a cat stove.

Bill

I'm hoping VC has their act together again. Next year the Vigilant will be replaced and the Heritage will move into the room where the Vigilant is. I'm hoping to put in a large cat stove if the finances work out. It would be nice if I could do all three stoves from the same brand. It would make operating three stoves during the winter easier. Especially for my wife since she uses the stoves a lot less than me. Every time I run out for a lengthy period of time I have to run through the operations of each stove; Turn handle down, close air lever down; turn handle back, turn air lever to the right; Move air lever to the left in stages as temps rise; pat head, rub stomach, put your left foot in and shake it all about...

You can see how it becomes a pain in the @ss by the time February rolls in.

Get a simpler stove then. There are lots without bypass controls.

BeGreen said:
Get a simpler stove then. There are lots without bypass controls.

Damn you cat stoves!!!!

(Seriously, though, that was the controls for all three stoves)

hwdemers said:
Vc puts 8 sets of gasgets in there. The manuel states they need to be dissasembeld and put back together every 3 years. Check out the enviro boston 1700. Nice stove great price

Replacing gaskets isn't a deal breaker for me. And the Enviro Boston is only a 1.85 cu ft firebox.

When I was looking at wood stoves last year the VC 2in1 was on my short list for sure! I love the look of the stove and I love the size of the firebox and came very very close to pulling the trigger on one but just couldn't do it due to the fact there isn't enough info on them and how they will hold up. Heck with my ROI on wood stoves it only takes me about a year to recoup my investment on a $3000 stove so once the 2in1 has been out for a few years maybe I will pick one up and try it out. I really hope they have the bugs worked out of there stoves considering how much I like the look and size of the defiant.

leeave96 said:

Bill

When I measured the Equinox fire box I only came up with a tad over 3 cu ft of true usable space. I also measured all the other soapstone Hearthstones and they were way short of stated capacity. I think they include space above the baffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.