Vintage Cast Iron Radiator - Proper Fittings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerry In Maine

Aug 13, 2024
Surry, MAine
I have a "Recoco" model cast iron radiator (made by the American Radiator Company). From what I read they stopped making this unit in 1916, so it's at least 108 years old. Plans are to have the sandblasted and powder coated and to add it to the hydronic heat system as a centerpiece to a remodel project.

The radiator has 4 inlets/outlets (at the top and bottom of both right and left sides). The lower left inlet has a hacksawed-off steam pipe and valve. All other ports were plugged with ornate pipe plugs - so this was originally set up for steam.

I was able to remove all (very well-rusted and seized) plugs with a good dose of PB Blaster, some praying and an impact wrench. When in use hot water will enter the lower left and exit the upper right port both via 3/4" iron pipe within an appropriate-sized bushing. Other ports will be plugged. My question relates to these fittings...

The original plugs screw in flush to the body of the radiator. Only the flats where a wrench would connect to tighten/loosen are visible. They look like they belong there.

I went to the local home store and got bushings of the correct size. They fit, but don't seat as the original plugs do. They stick out maybe halfway - and look like something just isn't right. Same with the plugs I got to close off the now-unused ports.

Comparing the new and original fittings the originals are "shorter"...they don't have as long of a threaded portion. Is there a specific name for these "shorter" type of fittings and are they still available?

Thanks!

This sounds like the end blank plug. Search for that and check with cast iron radiator shops.

thanks. I looked at that site but what they offer looks like what I got from Home Depot...I'll message them and ask. Many of the online radiator shops are in the UK and some offer what looks like the originals but from what I understand they don't use the NPT measurements we use here.

thanks. I looked at that site but what they offer looks like what I got from Home Depot...I'll message them and ask. Many of the online radiator shops are in the UK and some offer what looks like the originals but from what I understand they don't use the NPT measurements we use here.
Yes. They use BSP standard not NPT. They are very close but not the same. Today there is a lot of MIP threaded stuff here. I always thought the MIP ment crap loads of Teflon tape somehow.

Not sure of what sizes you are working but you could get the pipe tape of size and rerun the threads a bit deeper to get the seat you are looking for.

thank you. any idea where in the US I can find BSP fittings? Most of the places I've found so far are in the UK.
I would need two reducers (1.55" and 2.25" internal as measured with calipers (the 2.25" as I'm calling it actually measures 2.23" but it just might be reading a bit small). The "small" end of the reducer would need to accept .75" NPT. I figure I could drill/tap a smaller BSP "hole" to get that - or I see there are adaptors on Amazon. Would also need a 1.5" plug

Junk yards, maybe sand blasters.