Video of my chimney cleaning. Before and after....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FuzzyOne

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2006
Central NJ
I cleaned my @26' stainless chimney liner today. It's been about two+ years. I usually burn 2-3 cords in my Regency I3100. Unfortunately, I've been burning wood that isn't fully seasoned. An assortment of hardwoods.

I've been using a SootEater for years. My insert is about 12 years old, but I never had it professionally inspected. I ordered one of the Bluetooth wireless cameras and gave it a shot. I didn't see any issues which would lead me to call a pro.

About twice a year I burn one of the chimney cleaning logs. I think they work well. All of what came out, about 10 cups worth, was a fine dust.

And yes.... my wife still has the house decorated for Christmas!

Before :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• Video of my chimney cleaning. Before and after....
    20190116_090544.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 203
    20190116_114639.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 210
    20190116_131410.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 196
I only watched the end of both (up near the top of the flue where it is coldest). Not too much crud to start with, looked fairly clean when you were done!

I got one of those cameras too now that they're really cheap. Will be sticking it in the flue for my springtime cleaning.

Reactions: FuzzyOne
I’m curious what the pros here might think of those bluish discolored parts of liner down low.

Last edited:
The color of the sweepings look right to me. Brown vs black.

Funny you mentioned the blue. I actually saw more up top, which doesn't make sense. I did notice more soot up top, which is understandable The liner feeds down a masonry chimney and is not insulated.

Tried to see what you're referring to but not sure what part you refer to. Is there a specific spot on the timer to help find it?
I noticed it around 8:05, but saw more in other parts of video. Not sure if it’s a thing or not, so was curious what the pros here thought.

I noticed it around 8:05, but saw more in other parts of video. Not sure if it’s a thing or not, so was curious what the pros here thought.
Maybe it's my bad eyesight but the only thing I see at that point in the second video that would appear blue is the LEDs from the camera are reflecting off the cleaned stainless. It looks like the camera gets to close to the metal sometimes causing the reflection.

Reactions: Ludlow and FuzzyOne
which endoscope is that? I have the depstech wireless 11.5 foot endoscope. It does not work very well and the app is terrible. Your videos come out much better.
It looks the same, but must be longer at least, so a better model?
Also, that is a great idea using the wiffle ball thing to keep it from getting stuck. I'm stealing that idea.

which endoscope is that? I have the depstech wireless 11.5 foot endoscope. It does not work very well and the app is terrible. Your videos come out much better.
Also, that is a great idea using the wiffle ball thing to keep it from getting stuck. I'm stealing that idea.
I'll add a pic of what I bought. I think it's about 30'. This works pretty good. I don't have any issues with the app.
Video of my chimney cleaning. Before and after....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention..... On the second video, I used about 6" of a pool Noodle. Slide the flexible rod through and then the camera. Worked better in my opinion. Next time I might try a softball size wiffle ball and use the right angle mirror that comes with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk