Victorian Fireplace adding a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Abbeyj

Feb 5, 2022
Wales
Hi All,

I have moved into a house with the most beautiful Victorian Fireplace in amazing condition. I would like to sit a woodburning stove in front of it as I couldn't bear to take it out. Is this possible?

It's definitely doable! My stove is sitting in front of a (much less fancy, yours is beautiful) fireplace. Some things to keep in mind: you'll want a rear-venting stove, but the height of the fireplace will limit how tall of a stove you can get (since even rear-venting stoves vent from the top of the back of the stove). You'll also likely need to extend the hearth (you can make the extension out of different material if you don't want to tear anything out) - different stoves have different requirements for the R-value of the hearth, so you might be able to just tile around the existing hearth, or you might need a layer or two of micore under the tile (or stone slab/concrete/other non-combustible).

I know it is beautiful. I've lucked out with loads of original features. I've got a scaffold up and roof being done. The roofer is willing to drop the liners down while he's up there so I need to get my head round it in the next week. I've bought an Arada Hardy Hamlet 4 from my last house which I'm putting in the other room. That same model is now called solution 4. One of those would sit well without obscuring any of the features and the existing tiles would work. What's confusing me is whether the flue pipe would get up there without knocking the back of the fireplace out to make room for it.

I put a Morso 2b standard in with short legs. The flue collar on the top back allowed a direct connection to a 6" liner. Look at the spec's and measure carefully. It's a lot of work to make adjustments, pass the liner through the damper area, and seal the outside of liner to the existing firebox.