VF170 vibration noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LKC

Nov 30, 2014
Maine
We have been using a VistaFlame 170 pellet stove since August of 2014. It always has made a vibration noise that was intermittent while operating and always when it was shutting down. The noise has become very pronounced as we have been using the stove 24/7 in the cold weather. The vibration seems to come from the locking mechanism of the door, but this is just a guess as it is very noisy. The stove is in the basement, but the noise is loud enough to wake us in the night upstairs.

thanks in advance for any advice,
LKC

Last edited:
Vibrations generally come from the motors and are amplified by loose fitting parts throughout a stove. Looking at the parts breakdown for your stove I see numerous places that can cause vibrations. I'd start with the obvious and check the door latches and side/rear panels along with all fasteners. With a glove on and the stove operating, put pressure on and tap on various places around the stove to see if the noise stops.

Loose sections of panels between fasteners can vibrate and may be dampened with a dab of high heat RTV silicone as needed. I had to do this with the rear panel on my Englander stove because it only uses one screw to secure it at the top and hooks loosely to two screws on the side (loose=vibration).

Latches on doors and lids should always be checked and adjusted as required after a stove has been operated for the first time because everything will settle-in from expansion and contraction.

If the above fails, you'll need to do the same to the inside of the stove. I would shut it down, let it cool and unplug it before doing this or have a technician check it for you.

Other parts on your stove that may vibrate are the louvers, trim and the slider damper plate attached to the combustion blower assembly. Take a look at your manual in the parts list.

Lastly, it could be a problem with one of your blower assemblies like a loose fan or a fan making contact with the housing.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Vibrations generally come from the motors and are amplified by loose fitting parts throughout a stove. Looking at the parts breakdown for your stove I see numerous places that can cause vibrations. I'd start with the obvious and check the door latches and side/rear panels along with all fasteners. With a glove on and the stove operating, put pressure on and tap on various places around the stove to see if the noise stops.

Loose sections of panels between fasteners can vibrate and may be dampened with a dab of high heat RTV silicone as needed. I had to do this with the rear panel on my Englander stove because it only uses one screw to secure it at the top and hooks loosely to two screws on the side (loose=vibration).

Latches on doors and lids should always be checked and adjusted as required after a stove has been operated for the first time because everything will settle-in from expansion and contraction.

If the above fails, you'll need to do the same to the inside of the stove. I would shut it down, let it cool and unplug it before doing this or have a technician check it for you.

Other parts on your stove that may vibrate are the louvers, trim and the slider damper plate attached to the combustion blower assembly. Take a look at your manual in the parts list.

Lastly, it could be a problem with one of your blower assemblies like a loose fan or a fan making contact with the housing.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

My husband had been in the process of tightening whatever he could, but he went back through the stove and did find 4 screws on a panel that seemed to be only finger tight. He also checked the levels in all planes and found that the stove was not level front-to-back, and a piece of flat bar under the front of the stove leveled it. Whether the tightening or the leveling did the trick, it is now quiet, only regular operating noise which is quite acceptable.

Thanks for your feedback,
lkc

Status
Not open for further replies.