vertical storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sootsucka

Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Maine
I am in the process of redoing my system. Right now I have an old energy-mate smoke dragon hooked up to a horizontal 500 gallon propane tank. Comes spring I will be installing a Vedolux 37 and making my 500 gallon tank vertical. My questions are does anyone know way to get a coil big enough for placement in the top of the tank for heat and hot water with enough btus. I have a buddy who is a boilermaker/welder so any type is ok (flanged or pipe thread) My thinking is that the storage is mixing only on charging the tank and stratification will last a lot longer

sootsucka said:
I am in the process of redoing my system. Right now I have an old energy-mate smoke dragon hooked up to a horizontal 500 gallon propane tank. Comes spring I will be installing a Vedolux 37 and making my 500 gallon tank vertical. My questions are does anyone know way to get a coil big enough for placement in the top of the tank for heat and hot water with enough btus. I have a buddy who is a boilermaker/welder so any type is ok (flanged or pipe thread) My thinking is that the storage is mixing only on charging the tank and stratification will last a lot longer

Just keep an eye on ebay for a tankless coil. Five GPM seems to be a standard size for 'unlimited' hot water.

There's a used one with 7 hours left that look like it is in serviceable condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WEIL-McCLAIN-TA...aultDomain_0&hash=item27b80e7277#ht_500wt_901

For the neck and collar to weld to the tank, I contacted a boiler manufacturer and the were nice enough to sell me the parts. It would also be a piece of cake to build your own port once you have the bolt pattern.

--ewd

Is there an advantage to the coil over the sidearm other than not having the extra tank ?

My plan was to use the coil for heating and domestic water heating. I was hoping that without mixing of the storage tank it would last longer

sootsucka said:
My plan was to use the coil for heating and domestic water heating. I was hoping that without mixing of the storage tank it would last longer

If you're building your own maybe have a look at some of the European designs. Some of them have six or eight inch diameter tubes that the DHW coils sit inside of. The tube gives a path for the falling cooled water to get to the bottom of the storage tank without mixing with hot water on the way down. CPVC of PVC even might do the trick since all it has to do is stand there.

--ewd

sootsucka said:

It might not be mixing, but it will cool the water at the top. It seems to me that your not really gaining anything by doing it that way. I'm not a professional and may be wrong. With large pipe going in and out your
not going to be mixing much either. I have my tanks vertical and they stratify awesome without a coil. I don't see that it will increase time between charging. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Without the coil your cooler return water is going to be put on the bottom without traveling threw the tank. Any hot water remaining will rise.

That makes sense. Large piping, would 1.5" piping be large enough. The other question I have is would one put the piping directly into the top facing down or in the side pointing toward the other side to create less mixing for the supply and the same for the return in the bottom or side

I put mine on the very top and went with 1 1/4 to each tank. I believe 1 1/2" would work good for 1 tank. I wasn't implying that a coil is a bad idea just that I don't think It will add any extra time to the storage or stratify better.

you will need somthing at the top to let the air out so I would just bring it in from the top you wont get much mixing. I would definitly put one on the very bottom to make it easy to clean out. On mine I used the existing holes that were up about 1 1/2' and it was a pain to flush out the cleaner I had to use a pump to get it all out and it took a long time.

I could see a real benefit to having a DHW tankless coil in the top of storage especially for the summer. This way your not mixing the water in the tank, or, pumping boiler water through lines to and from DHW storage tank. However for general heating it may be more effort and expense than it's worth.

RobC said:
I could see a real benefit to having a DHW tankless coil in the top of storage especially for the summer. This way your not mixing the water in the tank, or, pumping boiler water through lines to and from DHW storage tank. However for general heating it may be more effort and expense than it's worth.

+1 (adamantly!) ......(not the place in VT)

Status
Not open for further replies.