Vermont Defiant Wood Burning Stove - Heat Shield Req

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coco2024

Jul 9, 2024
Williamson Co TN
Morning. We purchased a Vermont Definat wood burning stove and are in the process of framing the area that it will go.

It is a 7’ W by 5’ H and 6’ D Cove or Opening.

We plan to use a stone hearth and stone in and around the sides of the cove.

My question is what material is best for the ceiling of this space?

This picture is an example of what we are doing, but our cove is larger.

Any help is appreciated as we want to make sure we are building it to exceed possible heat issues.

Morning. We purchased a Vermont Definat wood burning stove and are in the process of framing the area that it will go.

It is a 7’ W by 5’ H and 6’ D Cove or Opening.

We plan to use a stone hearth and stone in and around the sides of the cove.

My question is what material is best for the ceiling of this space? View attachment 328251
This picture is an example of what we are doing, but our cove is larger.

Any help is appreciated as we want to make sure we are building it to exceed possible heat issues.
What are the stoves alcove requirements

This is a highly radiant stove and not allowed for this purpose. Can it be returned/exchanged for a different stove that will work? Otherwise, can the alcove be skipped and the stove installed with a flat wall behind it?

This is a highly radiant stove and not allowed for this purpose. Can it be returned/exchanged for a different stove that will work? Otherwise, can the alcove be skipped and the stove installed with a flat wall behind it?
I doubt we can return it. Will see if we can sell. Anyone know of wood burning stove that can be set in an alcove?

I doubt we can return it. Will see if we can sell. Anyone know of wood burning stove that can be set in an alcove?
Most of them can but I don't know of any that can go in one that low.

There are some past postings where this has been worked out with careful planning. Ceiling height is important, but is to a combustible ceiling. The mantel itself can be made of a non-combustible beam. There is a thread on that topic. The Blaze King Ashford 30 has the following minimum clearances.

Non-combustible mantel thread.

Lopi provides very specific alcove requirements for their Rockport stove. In a non-combustible alcove the clearance to the top is 6".

Ladies and gentlemen,

Last year the test agencies advised mfgs that after thorough deliberation, new alcove testing will be required.

For decades test labs conducted safety tests to establish side of stove to parallel wall clearances. Mfgs took that dimension and used it, assuming the identical value would apply to the opposite side. A top of stove to ceiling clearance was then derived by testing in safety booth.

In late 2022, the safety test labs told all mfgs that "unless you retest to a new standard specifically to establish alcove clearances, you must state Not tested for alcove".

Given all mfgs are retesting units for emissions, few have tested to new alcove clearances standard.

Instead, more refer to UL1482 clearance requirements.

We as a mfg have to retest to alcove standard, just like everybody else. This should happen in 2024-2025, when labs have time.

In selecting a wood heater for Alcove installations, ask if it has been tested to alcove standard, otherwise, consult UL1482.

I'll update this thread next week after meeting I have with test labs.

BKVP

One thing the testing should make very clear, when an alcove ceiling height is specified, is this only for a combustible ceiling or for a non-combustible ceiling too? Ideally there would be a spec for both conditions.

One thing the testing should make very clear, when an alcove ceiling height is specified, is this only for a combustible ceiling or for a non-combustible ceiling too? Ideally there would be a spec for both conditions.
Yes, valid point. As well, how about reduction in clearances with 1" airgap? I'll add to my comments.

BKVP