Vermont Castings Vigilant Damper Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 10, 2014
Long Island
Well it's winter, it's cold so it was time for my stove to break. The pin broke off of the damper, not sure if it pressed in or welded, but the casting around it broke. My question is, can this be replaced without taking the stove apart?

Thanks!

I'll answer my own question. Yes, you can get the damper out, at least when the pin/hinge on the left (looking from the front of the stove) is broken off. I also believe that it can be taken out even if that pin is there. My stove pipe exits out of the top, when I removed it I saw the DAMPER RETAINER vc part # 1304148 over the right pin. Removed that and out it came.

Since this was easy I feel better about repairing the part by brazing the left pin / hinge / handle back to the cast iron part. If it fails, I'll order a new one but I feel confident that the repair should last. If successful, I'll post a few pictures.

Frank, I didn't post pictures because I was simply asking how to remove the part.

ok. to my thick skull i thought you wanted to fix the hole going thru the side. anyway great news you got it out.;)