Vermont Castings RNV 40 Radiance 1998 is it possible to convert this standing pilot stove to a newer pilot on demand burner/controller?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kgoldsmith

Jun 10, 2024
Ohio
Vermont Castings RNV 40 Radiance 1998 is it possible to convert this standing pilot stove to a newer pilot on demand burner/controller?
ser # 2116

Could you physically do it and make it work? Probably. You would need a new valve, pilot assembly, control module, power supply, etc.
Would it be worth it? No.
There are also liability issues with altering appliances like this outside of what is approved by the manufacturer.

Reactions: Tech Guru
Thank You for the response. Along those lines, I figured that at some point, when Vermont castings changed over from standing pilot to on demand burners, they probably used the same cast radiance stove to fit the newer burner into. No one seems to know if there is a burner that fits into that framework from the factory. The factory does not have customer service to the public anymore, you have to call dealers. my dealer only offered me a new stove for $5000. I paid $1000 for the stove used, and there are lots out there in the same price range, but all standing pilot models that will eventually fail as mine did.

I hate the fact that some dink at the DOE just got to decide that pilot lights were our enemy.

Very short rant over.