Vermont Castings Encore 2040 Damper Gasket Re-seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WarmDeer

Oct 20, 2018
Maine
We have a 3 year old Encore 2040 flex-burn. This past winter the damper gasket started peeling off in the direction of the fireback. I searched for a video or step-by-step instructional guide, but found none. I chose to remove the flue and flue collar to try my hardest to reach in and replace the gasket. It seemed to hold up okay, but had some over firing issues occasionally to follow.

This year I'd like to re-gasket the whole stove and wondered if you all have any pointers for accessing the damper gasket easier.

Thank you for your help!

That gasket is a pain for me too. I applied a new gasket by accessing it from inside the stove with the damper open. I applied cement with my finger after removing the old gasket. I cut to size a new replacement and carefully applied it over the cement. I then closed the damper to hold it in place until it dried. It was a pain but I got it stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WarmDeer
Thank you for the guidance... I am waiting on a call back from a local VC dealer in hopes they can do a complete service, but if no luck on scheduling before super cold I will give your tricks a try :)

In all the other VCs the damper assembly had to be removed in order to replace this gasket properly. I’d assume the flex is no different. Have a 1/4-20 tap and some bolts on hand.

Reactions: bholler
I haven’t tore down a flex burn. We quit selling VC around the time they came out because of dependability and warranty issues. We have 5 or so out there.
On the other models all the refractory or iron parts (depending on the model) come out, remove the damper handle, the unbolt the bypass damper assembly. It takes a little maneuvering to get it out, but not too bad. The bolts for the damper pass through, but often break off. The side refractory retainers can be a real pain. If they break you need replacement 1/4-20 bolts a good drill bit and a bottom tap.

O
In all the other VCs the damper assembly had to be removed in order to replace this gasket properly. I’d assume the flex is no different. Have a 1/4-20 tap and some bolts on hand.

On the 0028 the gasket is on the actual damper. Very easy to replace.

O

On the 0028 the gasket is on the actual damper. Very easy to replace.
It’s too hard to get the old gasket cleaned and replaced properly. We just pull the damper assembly. Almost always the combustion parts need changed anyway...

Reactions: Diabel
We have a 3 year old Encore 2040 flex-burn. This past winter the damper gasket started peeling off in the direction of the fireback. I searched for a video or step-by-step instructional guide, but found none. I chose to remove the flue and flue collar to try my hardest to reach in and replace the gasket. It seemed to hold up okay, but had some over firing issues occasionally to follow.

This year I'd like to re-gasket the whole stove and wondered if you all have any pointers for accessing the damper gasket easier.

Thank you for your help!
Hi I know this is an old post but was just working on my Encore 2040 and wondered if you had any luck replacing damper gasket?
I had to replace the damper housing on my 2040, and to do this you need to first remove the back heat shield, and remove the top of the stove. There are 4 bolts holding the whole business together you'll need an extended ratchet long and thin I forget the size. Getting access to the damper then is easy but the job itself is a chore. Recommend using 2 people, at least one of them mechanically inclined. You will have to remove the inside right side firebrick also in order to get the damper rod reinstalled. Watch out there is a bushing sleeve and a washer that fill fall off make sure you don't lose. Replace the stove top gasket with 3/8" adhesive fiberglass gasket, the damper with 5/16" fiberglass gasket, and the damper housing with 7/16" gasket. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

• ENCORE Flexburn Complete Service Manual.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,228
Last edited:
Hi I know this is an old post but was just working on my Encore 2040 and wondered if you had any luck replacing damper gasket?
I had to replace the damper housing on my 2040, and to do this you need to first remove the back heat shield, and remove the top of the stove. There are 4 bolts holding the whole business together you'll need an extended ratchet long and thin I forget the size. Getting access to the damper then is easy but the job itself is a chore. Recommend using 2 people, at least one of them mechanically inclined. You will have to remove the inside right side firebrick also in order to get the damper rod reinstalled. Watch out there is a bushing sleeve and a washer that fill fall off make sure you don't lose. Replace the stove top gasket with 3/8" adhesive fiberglass gasket, the damper with 5/16" fiberglass gasket, and the damper housing with 7/16" gasket. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Hello Prichan, I'm also replacing damper housing, got the top off but how do I remove the damper rod??? Can't figure it out, any guidance greatly appreciated. I looked at the service manual but I'm at a loss with the rod.