Vermont casting encore 2554 and buck model 18 can buy both for $1800.00

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

1auctioneer

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
soUthern indiana
Brand new vc encore green enamel all cast iron but has minor chipping of paint from getting wet while in warehouse in box that oxidized with cast iron wet for over week, works great catalytic combuster is perfect and can get tax break 30 percent price $1,195. Also can get 2004 buck wood stove model18 for 500.00 cash .
I live in 150 year all brick home with 10 and 11 ft ceilings, 2 gas furnaces. taking out old forester wood insert. Trying to heat just main floor APPROX 2400 SQft going close the doors to approx 450 sq ft of that 2400. going to have one stove at one end another at the opposite so they would be about 80 feet apart. All hard wood floors insulation in attic and under floors. All original windows with storms in place. I was going to set both stoves out on fireplace hearth with very little of stove in fire place. Have nine fire places. Seal up all drafts in house. The buck can only heat up to 1200 sq ft has blower, vc can heat up to 1800 sq ft. has no blower. I am afraid that vc will just run us out of the room and not heat anything but the room its in. Have all new stainless chineyliner for 2 chimney ones 16 ft tall 12x12 the other 38 ft 12x12 both pipes 6 inch dia. So do you think I am crazy ? Three story open spiraling staircase, open attic andback staircase. Nine total fireplaces. Entire house 5500 sq ft. Just trying to save alittle. Any suggestions ? I love this house. IS this good price for these two stoves and do you think they can heat 2000 sq ft?

Buck is a good stove but that's a small one, and no credit. Get an Englander 13NC, Summer's Heat at Lowe's for about $650 and get the 30%. Brand new, less money, and 40% bigger firebox. For that matter, it's a better deal than the VC, too. Or upsize to 30NC at $900 less 30%.
A floor plan might help people guess at how big a stove you might want.

You can always buy a cheap floor fan and help move the hot air around from the Encore.

I'm not familiar with the Buck stoves, but it seems like I've heard good things about them.

I've owned a few Vermont Castings stoves, and while I really like the way they look and heat, I think they're pretty finicky to operate (a lot of monitoring to make sure you're not over-firing) and they seem to require a lot of maintenance and somewhat expensive parts.

Everyone has different wants and needs from a woodstove. Some really want looks, some want dirt cheap, some want "last forever" etc. For me, I just want it to heat well, be easy to use, easy to work on, and not require a whole lot of thought or effort. For us, the VC products no longer meet those criteria--others really enjoy them. A new Encore for $1,800 is a pretty good deal, bear in mind that VC has been bought and sold several times n the past 15 years and their future is not rock-solid in terms of warranty service.

Woodstock, Blazeking, and Jotul are three brands that seem to have consistantly high customer satisfaction reviews, there are others as well.

A good suggestion would be to search the review section of the forums here for reviews from actual users about the two models you're thinking about buying.

NP

The vc encore i can get for $1,195.00 the little buck for 500.00 . vc is brand new and pretty, the buck has nice gold plated door has no legs or pedistal. The stove has to be able to set on my my hearth and alittle back into my fireplace. Cannot run stove pipe through my walls or ceiling impossible. My house has all separate rooms no open space doorway to each room. I have one room thats 20x15 thats where family is most of time which is at one end of house and 80 ft back is where my husband stays lol that rm 17x16. I will try and post pic ofhouse layout tomorrow.

For a bunch of small rooms and that much space, I would look at an add on wood furnace. I heat the amount of space you are talking about heating with a stove but have an open floor plan and still have cooler rooms. If one of your furnaces services the area you are trying to heat, I think an add on wood furnace will be cheaper and keep you warmer in the long run. And, if you ever decide to heat the whole house, you can add an add on to the other furnace and you have two fires in the same place assuming the two gas furnaces are somewhat close together.

Yeah I thought about add on wood furnace. I have two natural gas furnaces one in basement the other in the attic. They are far from one another. The basement furnace probably 18 years old looks and runs great been using it 6 years have new furnance in the attic. Love to get outdoor wood furnace but I live on Main ST. in small rural town they might get upset (neighbors). Do youknowwhatcost is for one add furnace . Anyway I am gonna buy bothof those stoves pretty sure I could get most of mymoney back if doesnt work out. aLOT of mess dust wood chipssoforth with two stoves. Since these two stoves are 20 years newer than the one have be much cleaner .

ffanurse said:
Brand new vc encore green enamel all cast iron but has minor chipping of paint from getting wet while in warehouse in box that oxidized with cast iron wet for over week, works great catalytic combuster is perfect and can get tax break 30 percent price $1,195. Also can get 2004 buck wood stove model18 for 500.00 cash .
I live in 150 year all brick home with 10 and 11 ft ceilings, 2 gas furnaces. taking out old forester wood insert. Trying to heat just main floor APPROX 2400 SQft going close the doors to approx 450 sq ft of that 2400. going to have one stove at one end another at the opposite so they would be about 80 feet apart. All hard wood floors insulation in attic and under floors. All original windows with storms in place. I was going to set both stoves out on fireplace hearth with very little of stove in fire place. Have nine fire places. Seal up all drafts in house. The buck can only heat up to 1200 sq ft has blower, vc can heat up to 1800 sq ft. has no blower. I am afraid that vc will just run us out of the room and not heat anything but the room its in. Have all new stainless chineyliner for 2 chimney ones 16 ft tall 12x12 the other 38 ft 12x12 both pipes 6 inch dia. So do you think I am crazy ? Three story open spiraling staircase, open attic andback staircase. Nine total fireplaces. Entire house 5500 sq ft. Just trying to save alittle. Any suggestions ? I love this house. IS this good price for these two stoves and do you think they can heat 2000 sq ft?

I'm right there with you. I live in a 268 year old stone farmhouse with old windows and storms with a bunch of rooms. This year I am running 2 stoves. An Intrepid II in the kitchen and a Vigilant in the 'Summer Kitchen' (family room/den type of area). Not sure what the two stoves will do for me this year as I haven't really gotten them going much as of yet. My long term plan (which may be as early as this summer) will be to ad a third stove in the Living Room.

Personally I don't think the VC will run you out of the room. During the shoulder season I can get the room with the Vigilant up to 90, but during the winter 80* is about as high as it will go as the heat tends to snake it's way out of that room (tall ceiling in that room also, but I just got a ceiling fan).

You seem to be moving in the same direction that I am... except I am working with three chimneys and 2200 sqft.

I've also found that I enjoy the flexibility of a larger firebox and when I can afford it I will put in an insert into the kitchen (instead of the Intrepid) that has a heating range of about 1500sqft.

ffanurse said:
Love to get outdoor wood furnace but I live on Main ST. in small rural town they might get upset (neighbors). Do youknowwhatcost is for one add furnace .

I think you will be much happier with an indoor furnace anyway. Post in the boiler room and you will get lots of feedback on this. An add on wood furnace may not cost you much more and will probably do a much better job heating your space. As a reference for the furnace itself, $1650 at HD for the Englander add on:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...og.beans.EndecaDataBean@645209e9&ddkey=Search

Yeah, I love my house but hate to heat it. Iwill checkout boiler rm. Installed ss flexliner and VC encore ourselves pretty easy . Going to pick up buck 18 stove tomorrow . Postings about Vc encore cat 2250 that I have read on this site has gotten me a little scared. 268 year old stone house awesome. Hope you stay warm, less germs anyway when in cooler enviroment. Hey just fyi I got ss liner liner 20 ft for $129.00 bucs . Now I need 30 ft more. Can you wrap insulate ss linerwith kaowool ceramic blanket?

Status
Not open for further replies.