Vermiculite Baffles in Fireplace and Asbestos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tathspts

Jan 4, 2020
Montreal
I was wondering if the vermiculite baffles contain asbestos in them?

I recently decided to buy a drolet fireplace and then I learned baffle in it is made of vermiculite.

Their products seems to be approved by EPA 2020 standards. I wonder if EPA standards make sure of issues like asbestos as well or it is all about amount of particles being emitted in the air.

Company told me that their product does not have asbestos in them. I wanted to see what you guys think about about it?

I'd prefer an asbestos baffle, but I do understand it would be bad for the folks who would mine and work in the factory making them.

My favorite asbestos memory was from the high school locker room. For some reason, there was a metal leaf rake in the locker room. Some genius thought raking the ceiling was funny (it was, at the time). White flakes rained down on everyone. The ceiling was covered with sprayed asbestos that was, many years later, removed at significant cost.

The EPA tried to ban most uses of asbestos, but they got shot down by the fifth circuit.

So while it's probably technically legal, I imagine a stove company would get a wall of panicked phone and a large drop in sales calls the day that it came to light that they were using asbestos parts.

Asbestos and vermiculite are not the same thing.

The very serious and expensive lawsuits around asbestos have made this a third rail for insulation products. I would think that they would do their best to keep asbestos out of their materials. To my knowledge there is none, but if concerned ask the manufacturers for their safety data sheets.

I know they do spot check vermiculite. And have stopped using the mine where most of the contaminated stuff came from. But there is always a possibility. So I suggest not crushing up your baffle and inhaling the dust. Otherwise there isn't much risk

You know that there is naturally occurring asbestos in the air you breathe everyday? Dont cut or crush your baffle and there is no problem even if it is asbestos. Although several minerals are categorized as asbestos, it was a certain kind that was particularly hazardous. I wouldnt worry about it.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
You know that there is naturally occurring asbestos in the air you breathe everyday? Dont cut or crush your baffle and there is no problem even if it is asbestos. Although several minerals are categorized as asbestos, it was a certain kind that was particularly hazardous. I wouldnt worry about it.
Yes, don't worry about it is good advice. Mesothelioma is for folks who worked for 8 hours a day, for years, mostly in work environments that exposed them to the bad form of asbestos. Mining and manufacturing, and a few others.

I don't mean to minimize it for those that experienced asbestosis, but, the mania that the plaintiff's bar has caused in not warranted.

The mill I worked at used to make asbestos floor tile base. Some of the folks talked about having snowball fights in the summer. The snowballs were made from the asbestos they fed into the papermachine to make the product. Years later they had to track everyone who worked there. Reportedly they didnt have a higher rate of asbestos type illnesses than the general population. On the other hand the pipe insulators who worked in the facility generally didnt live long after they retired. There are different forms of asbestos and some forms are worst than others. Generally encapsulated asbestos is far less nasty than friable.

apparently there are 3 type of lung disease you can get from asbestos exposure. Asbestosis takes long term exposure and Mesothelioma symptoms are rarely seen before 10 years, but lung cancer itself can start developing as soon as within 1 year of your first asbestos exposure.

Many people seem to give excuse of it takes long term exposure of asbestos to get any disease, but from what I learned this is not always to be the case. One can never be too careful for their health.

No sense taking unnecessary risks. Would recommend leaving the baffle alone. Good information here in this thread. Yes it occurs naturally but the risk from airborne particles very low unless your playing with it in the yard. I grew up in an area of Marland where natural asbestos was mined now and then until WWII. Glad I was not old enough there to play in the dirt. Yes it's the type you don't was to interact with. There are several areas in central Maryland that have natural asbestos, A fact not well known. Used to do mine inspections that although the pit was limestone aggregate found later there were pockets of asbestos there too. Scary to think about.

I think I am just going to cancel my order and buy something else by SBI. I would admit the reason I placed an order for drolet is because of the price. I might order osburn fireplace instead. They are pricy, but there is no price tag for peace of mind I guess.

When I was checking the price for drolet and comparing them to other brands of SBI, I noticed a big difference in price. You can buy a drolet with liner kit for under 2000 and osburn fireplaces starts at about 2000plus and no mention of liner on their website. This makes one wonder what make this big price difference in price. I guess you get what you pay for this in world.

I think I am just going to cancel my order and buy something else by SBI. I would admit the reason I placed an order for drolet is because of the price. I might order osburn fireplace instead. They are pricy, but there is no price tag for peace of mind I guess.

When I was checking the price for drolet and comparing them to other brands of SBI, I noticed a big difference in price. You can buy a drolet with liner kit for under 2000 and osburn fireplaces starts at about 2000plus and no mention of liner on their website. This makes one wonder what make this big price difference in price. I guess you get what you pay for this in world.
There is no reason to even think about asbestos in your decision. The vermiculite baffle isn't going to hurt you.

That said, I had three of the vermiculite baffles in my SBI stove crack almost in half during the warranty period. They kept sending new ones, but I finally asked them for one made of c-cast (used in their Osburn stoves). To my great surprise, they sent one. It has been bulletproof for the last two years.

I wouldn't be concerned about asbestos in the baffle, I doubt there is any in it.

Out of curiosity what stove model are you looking at?

There is no reason to even think about asbestos in your decision. The vermiculite baffle isn't going to hurt you.

That said, I had three of the vermiculite baffles in my SBI stove crack almost in half during the warranty period. They kept sending new ones, but I finally asked them for one made of c-cast (used in their Osburn stoves). To my great surprise, they sent one. It has been bulletproof for the last two years.

that's great. This would solve it for me. I would opt for it as well. Which is your stove model?

I bought escape 1800-i wood insert. I wonder what dimension of c-cast baffle will fit on it?

The vermiculite that was found to be contaminated was from Libby Montana. That mine was closed. The vermiculite available now is not known to contain asbestos. I would stop with the worry.

I am not making light of the dangers of asbestos exposure. But the fact is that the mine yielding contaminated vermiculite is no longer used. And even if your baffle was contaminated you simply will have no exposure to it so there really is no danger there

that's great. This would solve it for me. I would opt for it as well. Which is your stove model?

I bought escape 1800-i wood insert. I wonder what dimension of c-cast baffle will fit on it?
I've found that there are several SBI stoves that seem to be very similar, Drolet, Century, Flame Energy, Enerzone, Osburn. The only differences seem to be some finish items, like the baffle material, door, warranty, the marketing channel through which they are sold, oh, and of course, price.

I believe a c-cast baffle gets a Drolet most of the way to an Osburn.

I have a Flame Energy stove, which may have been discontinued as one of SBIs brands. I was going to get a Drolet or Century, but the deal they had at myfireplaceproducts.com on the practically identical Flame Energy made it an easy choice for me. I've been very happy with the stove. It's been a great, if utilitarian, wood heater.

Reactions: Mech e
Thanks Easy Livin' 3000 you saved the day. Looks like they sell 20" X 12 1/2" X 1 1/4" c-cast baffle this is the exact dimension of vermiculite baffle that goes in 1800-i.
This is what I found as well. The baffle they sent me was just a little oversized, and I had to cut it to fit right. I think that's why they were willing to send as a replacement/upgrade for the warranty claim. It was so easy to cut. I traced the correct size using the broken vermiculite baffle, and used a bread knife to make the cut! It is surprisingly soft.

Some years ago I replaced my vermiculite baffle with one I cut from an asbestos insulation sheet. Has worked and held up beautifully.

That makes me wonder how many years you'd get out of a cut piece of Hardieboard. Even if you get 1 year, at $10 a sheet that might be a good deal.

That makes me wonder how many years you'd get out of a cut piece of Hardieboard. Even if you get 1 year, at $10 a sheet that might be a good deal.

Hardieboard is just a cement like product not an insulator. I would guess Hardieboard would be pretty useless, but I don’t know that to be fact. Ceramic board works great. Pretty much the same as asbestos.

Hardieboard is just a cement like product not an insulator. I would guess Hardieboard would be pretty useless, but I don’t know that to be fact. Ceramic board works great. Pretty much the same as asbestos.
Think someone tried this a while back. It was shortlived. Hardiboard used cellulose for a filler, fwiw.