Vermiculite baffle replaced with steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shaun643

Jan 4, 2018
Michigan (Thumb)
I was wondering if anyone has replaced their vermiculite baffle at the top of their stove with a steel baffle. My has cracked over time and I need to replace it. Was thinking of using steel just wanted to know if that was ok to do.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced their vermiculite baffle at the top of their stove with a steel baffle. My has cracked over time and I need to replace it. Was thinking of using steel just wanted to know if that was ok to do.
Not a good idea just get the proper replacement part and treat it right it should last a long time

I had a regency insert that had the fragile vermiculite baffle. After breaking one twice I made a new one out of 1” steel plate, worked great never warped.

I had a regency insert that had the fragile vermiculite baffle. After breaking one twice I made a new one out of 1” steel plate, worked great never warped.
What are you doing to your baffle that you keep breaking it? Mine is 10 years old with no problems. The problem with steel is there something not much of anything insulation value there and that means the fir box temps will be lower. Not to mention if it really is 1 inch thick you now have 100 lbs resting on the tubes meant to support 10lbs.

Last edited:
What are you doing to your baffle that you keep breaking it? Mine is 10 years old with no problems. The problem with steel is there something not much of anything insulation value there and that means the fir box temps will be lower. Not to mention if it really is 1 inch thick you now have 100 lbs resting on the tubes meant to support 10lbs.

Oh long story. Stove was in the great room of a lodge we used to work at. Guests would often use the stove over the weekends in the winter and where obviously rough with it.

What if you used an insulation blanket on the steel baffle?

Oh long story. Stove was in the great room of a lodge we used to work at. Guests would often use the stove over the weekends in the winter and where obviously rough with it.

Still though 1” thick!! is way too much. Think I would have tried 3/8”. The old lopis would use firebrick and lightweight angle iron supports but those didn’t bear their weight on the thin tubes.

Reactions: bholler
a piece of 1/8" stainless with a lot of holes in it over the tubes but under the vermiculite baffle would provide the protection you're looking for and keep the same insulating quality wouldn't it? I think i remember someone on here making something like this.

Agreed it was goofy and overkill, we had some 1” plate plate kicking around, was my dads idea, lol. Pretty sure the stove is still in service 15 years later...

How delicate are the vermiculite baffles as far as taking them out cleaning the chimney

2018 drolet ht2000

Never a good idea to modify an appliance, hard to explain if there is ever an issue. Ceramic baffles hold up well unless they get whacked and/or messed with. My Enviro's is 8 seasons old and are the original, but I will admit I have a spare set along with an extra glass if ever needed- so far that has worked, just having them "in case of...."

How delicate are the vermiculite baffles as far as taking them out cleaning the chimney

2018 drolet ht2000
Some are pretty delicate others are not. There is allot of variation from manufacturers. Vermiculite board is one of the more durable materials.

Some are pretty delicate others are not. There is allot of variation from manufacturers. Vermiculite board is one of the more durable materials.
I think that is whats in my stove looks like 1 inch foam type stuff im about to sweep it for the first time

2018 drolet ht2000

The HT2000 has a C-Cast baffle. The C-Cast baffle is made of an aluminosilicate fiber material that is compressed with a binder to form a rigid board.