Vent Pipe Outside Vs. Inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Busy_Bosco

Apr 23, 2020
West Virginia
I'm wondering pros and cons.

I run my pipe straight out the stove, thru the wall, and about 5 feet vertical outside.

I notice most installs I see go out and up inside the home, than out the wall.

I know I'm losing some ambient heat, but am I missing something else? My vent configuration seems very unpopular.

I'm new to all this, just installed my stove today to avoid another season of heating a 2,000SF home on pure electricity.

I have TWO pellet stoves. One is vented up, then out. The other is vented out, then up.
The outside situation at the venting locations dictated that I install them this way.
Don't have any issues with either set-up, although the out then up is easier to sweep.

I have TWO pellet stoves. One is vented up, then out. The other is vented out, then up.
The outside situation at the venting locations dictated that I install them this way.
Don't have any issues with either set-up, although the out then up is easier to sweep.

My vent was also dictated by my layout. Good to know it's easier to clean.

I may extend the pipe another 10 feet up to avoid air intake on hvac unit.

Thanks for the feedback

Mine goes straight out then way up as well. I have a 3-4 transition Tee with cleanout outside. My vertical is 4" and it's 18 feet straight up with a pellet rain cap. I much prefer the outside transition Tee. Makes cleanout a snap with a leaf blower/ vacuum.

I'm needing to replace the transition tee yet this fall. The old one is getting rusty on the outside. Have a new one in the shop. Soaking the joints with PBlaster in anticipation of removal.

Corn is hard on pellet venting. Not much residual heat comes off the vent pipe inside, maybe it's 400 degrees at high setting.

I like to suck it out in the spring and then take my pressure washer and clean the vertical in the fall before using the stove.

Glad to hear another person with a setup like mine.

I wish I could look out at my neighbors houses, see what they do, but the few neighbors I have use propane.

So do we actually. The stove is for supplemental heat mostly. Propane is cheaper per realized BTU.

So do we actually. The stove is for supplemental heat mostly. Propane is cheaper per realized BTU.

I'm not opposed to propane, but they all have big outdoor tanks and propane appliances setup.

We just moved in with electric heat (bank required), and a diesel powered heat vent that takes up 1/3 of our floor, and isn't cheap either for how ugly it is.

The pellet stove seemed the most economical route to convert to, albeit a wood stove with ample space and wood, I think this is the best choice for us for now

My exhaust is out then up, I like it that way because it keeps the dirt outside when cleaning the pipe, downside is that if you ever want to switch to a different stove it can be a real challenge trying to figure out how to get the exhaust lined up for the new stove.

if i were to do it again i would go up and out.. I went strait out with this stove and then realized that if i have to change stoves its going to be a reel pain to get things to line up. More than likely i will have to put a new outlet in...

I went out then up. So much nicer when cleaning the pipe. But I agree about changing stoves later, it could be more difficult. I figure I wouldn’t be changing stoves often, but I’d think about the mess every time I cleaned the pipe. Another advantage is the faster you can get the pipe out of the house, the fewer chances for smoke leaks in the house.