Vent pipe distance from doors and windows dilemma! (Good news!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
Can someone tell me if I am good with this vent pipe based on the following text from manual. Dealer said most likely but some towns might find fault because the stove pipe runs parallel with the window and it's not 48" away. I called my town office and they said install the stove and then they will inspect. I asked if they would approve the design and they said as long as you follow the venting requirements in the manual, they will pass the inspection. I want to be absolutely sure before I pull the trigger.

Distance from doors and opening windows, or gravity or ventilation air inlets into building:
a. Not less than 48 inches (1219mm) below;
b. Not less than 48 inches (1219mm) horizontally from;
c. Not less than 12 inches (305mm) above.

Attachments

• Vent pipe distance from doors and windows dilemma!  (Good news!)
    Visio-Floor Layout installed in DR.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 735
Which stove? If you use outside air kits it brings your clearances down.

STOVEGUY11 said:
Which stove? If you use outside air kits it brings your clearances down.

QuadraFire Castile. No vent pipe option, as far as I know.

Hmmm.....Im not sure. Im not a Quad guy. Someone here will know.

I just finished my first install and had a similar situation to yours. My Inspector questioned the 48" side distance on my sketch but accepted my explanation that it didn't matter because I was more than 12 inches above the nearby windows.

My stove has an optional OAK available but to the best of my knowledge it has no effect on the minimum clearances...

So... If I were you I'd continue because I think you're compliant but as far as your desire to be absolutely sure what the inspector will allow... I don't think that's possible... Good luck.

In the wording "Distance from doors and opening windows". Are they talking the entire vent pipe or are they talking about the termination cap?

Another thing to consider depending on your code is that the windows or door can be "closed" permanently to reduce your distances for the code. I found this out as I have a direct vent oil cap within a foot of a window, but the CEO allowed it with the window nailed shut. (Which my wife hates) We bought the house pre-rigged for this, found out after the fact.

those clearances are from the exit of the pipe. the "skin " of the pipe as it goes up is not a concern it could run right next to the window aslong as the termination is a foot above the window. bear in mind for a "two story house" the upstairs windows still need to be at least 4 ft above the termination.

stoveguy2esw said:
those clearances are from the exit of the pipe. the "skin " of the pipe as it goes up is not a concern it could run right next to the window aslong as the termination is a foot above the window. bear in mind for a "two story house" the upstairs windows still need to be at least 4 ft above the termination.

Hi stoveguy2esw

That’s awesome if I understand you correctly. If I terminate only 12” above (shown in blue), I think I am still too close to the window as I only have 16” to the side. If I go 48” above (shown in red) the nearest window, I think I am all set. Does this look right to you?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Vent pipe distance from doors and windows dilemma!  (Good news!)
    Visio-Floor Layout installed in DR1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 545
Good news for those who want to know the answer. I contacted QuadraFire and asked the question about their venting statement. It's from where the pipe terminates, so I'm good to go!

The Castile Manual states - Distance from doors and opening
windows, or gravity or ventilation air inlets into building: a. Not less
than 48 inches (1219mm) below; b. Not less than 48 inches (1219mm)
horizontally from; c. Not less than 12 inches (305mm) above.

My question: Are these distances referring to the termination point or the
entire vent pipe.

Here's their reply:Dear Steven,
Thank you for contacting Hearth & Home Technologies. This is from were the
unit terminates.

Status
Not open for further replies.