VC Resolute Acclaim combustion package

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolut Andy

Sep 23, 2013
I bought a house a little while back, and it came with a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim. It had obviously been overfired, as the upper fireback was completely warped and useless. Also the firebricks were broken in a couple spots, and installed wrong. I dissasembled it and discovered the combustion package was almost half gone. I didn't like the cost of a new one, especially considering it would fall apart again soon, so I decided to make one myself. I used firebrick, and cut up the pieces with a wet tile saw. I cemented it all together and baked it in the oven. It's held together now for over a year. It's not exactly the same dimensions as the original, but I did the best I could. Also, I had to run some gasket around the back of it where it needs to seal against the back panel of the stove- the stock unit just kinda crushes up against the back and seals like that. It looks simple, but it took me many many hours to do this. I chewed up a couple masonry drill bits making the holes at the bottom (not shown). Also not shown is the final product with the front section of the combustion package installed.

It actually seems to work pretty damn well, all things considered. I dont have much to compare it to, but I am able to fill it up with wood, throttle it down, and still have plenty of coals 8+ hours later.

Lately I've been having a problem with back-puffing through the griddle, so I need to figure out what's causing that. There's about 8' of straight pipe through the roof, probably around 14' total from the stove top. The back puffing only happens when the secondary burn is in progress and the air control is closed all the way. It has only happened an hour or two after throttling it down though... actually has woken me up after going to sleep.

Anyway, here are the photos:
[Hearth.com] VC Resolute Acclaim combustion package [Hearth.com] VC Resolute Acclaim combustion package [Hearth.com] VC Resolute Acclaim combustion package [Hearth.com] VC Resolute Acclaim combustion package [Hearth.com] VC Resolute Acclaim combustion package

Reactions: Oldhippie
I really like this although I am sure it violates some federal law and UL listing. Always wanted to try this with an Encore. Have you pulled it back apart and checked for fly ash .I am assuming the chimney is clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.