VC Montpelier - PLASTIC Blower Impeller!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

*Rusty*

Feb 4, 2021
Rochester, NY
The other day I was poking some coals around in the stove and a few hot coals fell out. Usually not a problem but this time was a little different! Some of the coals fell right in front of the blower intake and were apparently small enough to get past the metal mesh grate covering the intake. Well then the fireworks began, literally! A bunch of little hot coals began to project out of the blower exhaust and into my face! So I quickly turned off the blower fan and which just developed a new sound rattling sound. Once I stopped yelling at the stove I did some investigating. To my surprise, I discovered that the blower impeller is actually made out of PLASTIC! So now I have a nice piece of abstract art formally known as the impeller. I'd really like to just replace the melted impeller (preferably with a metal one) but plastic would do if it means not having to replace the entire blower assembly. Thoughts?

VC Montpelier - PLASTIC Blower Impeller!

Pretty sure those blowers aren't serviceable & the entire assembly
needs to be replaced. Not cheap.

It's always a good idea to turn off the blower before opening a stove door, but this is particularly true for inserts that have the blower intake under the ash lip. Even if hot coals don't spill, a certain amount of ash will spill and that will get sucked up by the blower and blown out into the room creating a dusty situation.

I have this insert. The blower crapped out a few years ago. I was able to order a replacement and do it myself. It actually runs quieter than with the original fan. The previous poster is correct. Turn off the fan any time you open the door.

Pretty sure those blowers aren't serviceable & the entire assembly
needs to be replaced. Not cheap.
So I removed the blower assembly this weekend and turns out the impellers are quite easy to remove. Squeeze the ears of the red "butterfly spring ring" together to remove it then slide the impellers off the D-Shaped shaft. Only one of the four impeller sections had damage so I simply cut off the melted plastic to limp it by until I can find a replacement impeller.

Attachments

• VC Montpelier - PLASTIC Blower Impeller!
    PXL_20210205_185224975.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 90