VC model and quality?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
VC model and quality?

Friend of mine sent me this pic of a 20 year old Defiant for sale, I was wondering if this was manufactured during the "bad" years.

20 yrs ago was in the not so good years, but this is mostly for the refractory package design. Is this the model 1945 catalytic? The castings were still good. Has it had a rebuild in the last 5 yrs? If so, it probably has a better quality refractory than the original did.

About 5 years ago I went to look at a pinball machine listed on CL. I get to the location and it was directly across from Vermont Castings. The building and signage looked in sorry shape. Rewind many many years ago living in Ridgefield CT when I bought my first Resolute D handle model and VC had mailers and invited owners to come up and have a look at the factory. I did, and what I was told is that the huge cauldrons that melted the iron were heated by electricity. If, the power went out, it would ruin them if the molten iron solidified. I also saw the sand/wax mold process which was really interesting. Businesses can falter for so many reasons, even if they make a great product as VC did right out of the starting gate.

VC has had a very healthy infusion of cash and support since HHT bought them. They are investing in R&D again. The Dauntless and Aspen C3 are examples of new engineering.

VC has had a very healthy infusion of cash and support since HHT bought them. They are investing in R&D again. The Dauntless and Aspen C3 are examples of new engineering.
Yes, any help to revitalize any Vermont company would be a benefit to all. The organic dairy industry is going into the "outhouse" because Horizon Organic is cutting out the VT dairy farmers supply, many farms will fail even though VT is known for healthy organic food sources. Maybe the new retail pot law will bring outsiders in and also bring them to their senses.