VC Merrimack - smoke escaping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

micaaronfl

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2010
pennsylvania
hello all,

i have a VC merrimack had it about 5 years, this maybe a stupid question but if u get a really bad down draft can smoke still escape through the doors/glass. seems like this year twice i had smoke filter into the house seemingly from the doors. i did replace the gaskets and glued around the window also adjust the knob to a point where its hard to chit it lol.

is this unit never supposed to allow smoke out at all? both times it did it i had a smokey fire - alot of wet wood in PA this year.

I would say no stove is supposed to allow smoke out at all when it is closed. Did this happen during the early parts of a new fire or was the fire already going for a while. I'm wondering if your chimney hadn't heated up yet.

I have the same insert and I have never had smoke come into the house with it closed. Now when I open the doors to reload or just dick around with the fire I will get some smoke roll out but it isn't much.

I'm guessing that more experienced members here are going to ask questions like how tall is your chimney, do you have an insulated liner, do you doors pass the "dollar bill" test, etc.

Reactions: mikey517
If you start a fire when you have a downdraft and don't warm the chimney first then yes you will get smoke coming out the stove until proper draft is established

I don't think any stove and chimney is sealed from a significant positive pressure. That said the draft is negative pressure. A lot of issues can cause less draft. Did you check the cap? Wet wood / smoldering fires plug them up.

Last edited:
If the stove is venting into the room in the middle of a burn, that is a serious CO hazard.

Does this only happen when the flue is cold and you are starting a fire?

Smokey fire, damp wood. Sounds like this may be backpufffing.

thanks for the reply everyone this has only happened when i first started the fire (stove cold). chimney is clear just had it done as well. so what im hearing this is normal if i dont have draft.

Smoke can also escape through your primary and secondary vent holes.

so what im hearing this is normal if i dont have draft.
The condition may be exacerbated if the wood is not fully seasoned. Puffbacks can occur even with good draft. They happen when the wood is not burning well and the stove door is closed and the flame goes out so that the wood begins to smolder. If the flame reappears it will ignite the unburnt wood gases trapped in the firebox. This causes a small explosion which will force smoke out of any orifice.