VC Intrepid secondary air intake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
This question actually applies to both the II and the new flex burn. What's the purpose of the secondary air intake flap. On the flex burn it's just called appliance air intake. On both models this open and closed by the damper handle. With the damper open its in the closed position. With the damper closed its open. I'm assuming this intake is for the door air wash. With the damper open there's no air coming out of these manifolds so I think this is correct. But also it seems that the amount f secondary flap opening would affect how the primary airflow works in the stove? The operator manuals are secretive on this for some reason. Any thoughts or experience in this appreciated.

For normal operation with the bypass closed, the secondary air flap should be open. It does not feed the air wash. It feeds the secondary combustion chamber. If the stove is being run with the bypass open, then VC suggested in the manual to leave the flap closed for better thermostatic operation. In practical use, I don't ever recall running the Resolute with the bypass open. That just wastes fuel.

VC Intrepid secondary air intake?

begreen, I get that concept. On the Intrepid it's not possible to operate the secondary air intake separately which according to your attachment you could with the Resolute at that time at least. The secondary is adjustable though but the manual makes no mention of its existance so no idea what the correct adjustment for the secondary should be. Thanks for the response.

With the above information the secondary air does not circulate through the stove (fire), just strait through the secondary burn chamber and up the flue. It seems then that the amount of air going through the secondary would affect the volume of air coming into the primary by volume or velocity or both and therefore affect the sensitivity of the primary air settings, no? So the $64,000 question is then what should the opening gap be on the secondary flap for best operation? The Intrepid II manual gives specs on what the primary settings should be but not the secondary. The flex burn manual gives you nothing on either just says live it the hell alone (primary only). No mention the secondary exist. Any information appreciated.

On about 90%? of stoves on the market the secondary air supply is open and unregulated. The suction of draft will draw more air into the stove via the secondary port as the primary air supply is turned down.