VC Encore Pitting Ceramic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hotglow

My 2016 VC Encore ceramics is pitting. Anyone know if this is normal or manufacture defect? Why does it happen and do I need to replace the pitted ceramic?

VC Encore Pitting Ceramic VC Encore Pitting Ceramic VC Encore Pitting Ceramic VC Encore Pitting Ceramic

Thank you. It’s a great stove. I burn around 4 cords a year in it. I just wish they could figure a way to make the CAT last longer. Appreciate your help.

you have more pitting.. I think your running a little hot.. probably why the cats not lasting

This is normal where in Terre. Your literature baking this for hours at a time day after day. Your going to see some Degradation after time. I wouldn't consider replacing it right now.. in the future yes...
That came out funny. Methinks there's a drunk gnome running spell check in the background.

• Haha
Reactions: charger4406
Agree, do you have thermometers/probes?
I think my probe is bad. I have a lot of thermometers. Just most of them don't agree. I think my new big Rutland in the center and the black one to the right of it are pretty close to accurate. You're right I was probably running the stove too hot. Maybe why the ceramic pitted so bad too? I'm going to replace all of my seals, new CAT and probe in the spring.

Attachments

• VC Encore Pitting Ceramic
    IMG_9920.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 95
I think my probe is bad. I have a lot of thermometers. Just most of them don't agree. I think my new big Rutland in the center and the black one to the right of it are pretty close to accurate. You're right I was probably running the stove too hot. Maybe why the ceramic pitted so bad too? I'm going to replace all of my seals, new CAT and probe in the spring.
I do like that pic! Classic and tells the truth in terms of magnetic units accuracy.

Yeah, as the Auber digital probe has indicated, my old Condar probe stovepipe thermometer is worthless.

Reactions: Diabel
That came out funny. Methinks there's a drunk gnome running spell check in the background.
talking in my phone and auto correct
If I may make a suggestion.. ditch all but one of the stove top thermometers. Get an IR gun.. I use 1 thermometer as a Guage.. but it not really accurate.. I know when it says 400 its really 550. but to use it as your only source of info probably led to some over firing.. grab an auber at100 and a probe and ditch the bimetal one that came with the stove.. the at100 gives you instant temp readings and will tell you when you get into that critical range..You will literally be able to see.. what your stove is doing the first pic i20201227_192034.jpg20201219_060554.jpg