VC Encore not burning well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Julie in Minn

Sep 29, 2020
St. Croix River Valley
Hiya - We’ve got a Vermont Castings Encore stove circa 1996 which doesn’t seem to be working worth a darn. It’ll go fine with the bypass open but once it’s shut it barely will burn even with air intake fully open. Should we start by replacing the combustor? If so, would anyone have recommendations as to the most reliable place to get one?

Additional info: We’ve had the house for four years and as far as I know, the combustor has not been inspected, and I would bet my last nickel it has never been since it was installed (only had very light use prior to our purchasing the house). The stove was inspected four years ago, although the inspector to my knowledge never looked at the combustor. The wood is good, it’s a new chimney that’s cleaned regularly, so I know that’s all working well. No idea why the photo is sideways! Sorry.
VC Encore not burning well

Picture rotated. It sounds like the stove needs a careful inspection and cleaning of the catalyst to start with. With luck it is just plugged with ash.