VC Encore Manifold stripped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whoppr

Jan 25, 2013
Hi...

I have VC Encore 2550 and had a really hard time getting the right door manifold screw out while replacing the glass gasket.

I *think* the threads in the manifold itself are stripped and the threads are not right. I tried turning a screw into the threads in the door and it was fine. Threading into the manifold awfully tough about halfway through.

Anyone have any experience with this? Retap it? Bore it out slightly? I dont think the threads in manifold do too much so if it is enlarged it may be OK. The manifold rests on top of a clip to hold the glass and gasket in place.

Thanks

You could try running a bottom tap into it. I’m not sure of the size though. Most bolts are 1/4-20 on a VC, but I think that one is much smaller. Sometimes we run a self threading bolt in and it holds, going slightly bigger wouldn’t hurt anything.

Are the threads in the manifold suppose to be there in order to adjust the “opening” per say? Or is it suppose to sit tight against the door? I would try a thread chaser or tap before I enlarged the hole.

After looking at this a little more, I looked at the parts list and the bolt is 10-24 x 1" I think. It is hard to describe but one end has a spacer built into the manifold and the other stripped end would sort of sit flush to the glass if the hole was deep enough. I think the screw is supposed to space the manifold up some distance from the glass since the are both 1". If I thread the bolt sitting with the manifold flush to the glass it wont sit snug against the manifold. Still a problem since if I try and thread a screw/bolt through the manifold with the manifold removed, it wont go through.

So my original statement about enlarging it and not being important I don't think holds.

Its hard to believe I have done this maybe 4 or 5 times and dont recall. Its waited too long this time and think its not fresh in my mind.

I could just give you the whole door. Where are you located?

On my next reload I will try and remember to take a picture. If memory serves me correct the fat side of the manifold (hinge side) is spaced off of the door some leading me to believe the threads in the manifold are purposeful. I’m no professional though, just have lots of time with the 2550.

I have an old decommissioned encore 0028 in my basement. Took some pics. The doors and manifolds are the same as the 2550. Not sure if this helps any.
Cheers

Attachments

• VC Encore Manifold stripped
    6A3ED6A1-25FC-494B-A36E-EBD5DEE1009E.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 99
    B4EDC690-CF87-4A9C-AA85-1C0114F38521.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 85
    9A0BD5E2-FD94-4013-9941-F4762E95C297.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 77
    54282568-8B0F-4DFE-ADFB-C13B00052BFA.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 90
Diabels last pic and the one I posted show the air gap created by the manifold having threads. If the manifold is tight against the door than this minimizes the air wash. I suppose if you drilled the hole bigger you could just use some stainless washers to space the manifold out. I already have taps in the toolbox so this would be my approach to it

Attachments

B22B3471-20AE-4CE9-9CC4-21B2AA47AC78.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 80
Diabels last pic and the one I posted show the air gap created by the manifold having threads. If the manifold is tight against the door than this minimizes the air wash. I suppose if you drilled the hole bigger you could just use some stainless washers to space the manifold out. I already have taps in the toolbox so this would be my approach to it

The pics you both sent are very helpful... It also explains why the 1" screw is too tall if the threaded end of the manifold is flush with the door. I must not have noted it when I took it apart. I think I will try and find a thread chaser to hopefully fix the manifold. For now I put in a short screw to hold the clip in place, the notched end since there is a clip under the manifold when assembled right. I can run it without the manifold until I can get this worked out.

Thanks to you both again and everyone else again.

If I remember correctly the last time I did my glass gaskets I had to chase out some manifold threads. It went smooth for me using my harbor freight tap and die set. It has two different thread gauges so you can figure out your thread pitch. Then I just use the bolt and a die to come up with the correct diameter of the bolt.

If I remember correctly the last time I did my glass gaskets I had to chase out some manifold threads. It went smooth for me using my harbor freight tap and die set. It has two different thread gauges so you can figure out your thread pitch. Then I just use the bolt and a die to come up with the correct diameter of the bolt.

We have a Harbor Freight nearby. Was the set a thread restorer or was it a tap and die that you used?

Tap and die. It’s a set with both metric and standard sizes.