VC Encore 2040 2N1 Flexburn crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NHwoodstover

Oct 25, 2020
New Hampshire
Hi,

So I was just taking apart my wood stove to replace the damper housing and redo the gaskets and I found this behind the firebox. The crack is contained entirely behind the chimney shroud, but is this a big issue? It looks like it’s the main body of the stove unfortunately.

appreciate peoples thoughts on how to fix this, or if I can just ignore it...or if the stove is junk (hopefully not as I just bought a new top, damper housing and a full set of gaskets).

Thanks!

Attachments

• VC Encore 2040 2N1 Flexburn crack
    DA435925-868B-4780-AC8A-F6763D4AC7A1.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 118
    2B858137-A7A0-4248-893C-25CE1C06A17F.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 127
    229D4A01-F3F8-44A8-9B31-AF583230A1A6.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 127
Nope not good at all

A crack like that will keep traveling due to the stove heating and cooling during the burn cycle, since its on the outside fire box there is a chance of the stove losing control due to the extra air coming into the upper portion of it.
How old is the stove, and has VC been notified, this might be a warrantee claim for a cracked firebox.

A crack like that will keep traveling due to the stove heating and cooling during the burn cycle, since its on the outside fire box there is a chance of the stove losing control due to the extra air coming into the upper portion of it.
How old is the stove, and has VC been notified, this might be a warrantee claim for a cracked firebox.

The stove is only 3yrs old, this would be the 4th burn season.

I contacted the dealer who sold it to me who basically said “sorry, I don’t sell these anymore because of tons of problems like this, you’ll have to contact VC directly”....I guess I’ll be calling them today. Sigh.

Now my wheels are starting to turn, it appears as though these stoves have a limited life time warrantee as per there advertisement on the website, I'm wondering though, will the new 2020 rules be in effect, I think VC basically re-engineered there most popular stoves (includes your model) to meet the clean burning regulations, you might get lucky here, or you might have an issue with paying out of pocket the difference between the 2 stove models, please keep us posted.

Vc stand behind their products. Lol now that's funny.

Now my wheels are starting to turn, it appears as though these stoves have a limited life time warrantee as per there advertisement on the website, I'm wondering though, will the new 2020 rules be in effect, I think VC basically re-engineered there most popular stoves (includes your model) to meet the clean burning regulations, you might get lucky here, or you might have an issue with paying out of pocket the difference between the 2 stove models, please keep us posted.
Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.
I know what your saying, and VC's prior history would suggest your more then likely to be correct, maybe I'm just optimistic, but there was a member here that posted about a 2 months ago that @begreen new from past stove engineering times who claimed to be with VC and did the re-design of the new 2020 stoves, perhaps through some lucky reading this OP will be taken care of or at least pointed in the right direction.

His name was Corey i believe

I know what your saying, and VC's prior history would suggest your more then likely to be correct, maybe I'm just optimistic, but there was a member here that posted about a 2 months ago that @begreen new from past stove engineering times who claimed to be with VC and did the re-design of the new 2020 stoves, perhaps through some lucky reading this OP will be taken care of or at least pointed in the right direction.
They redesign and fix all of the durability problems every couple years. The stove in question was the previous fix for all of the problems that are still there

Thanks for the replies, kind of feared this would be the case as I’ve read a bunch of similar tales of woe on here about VC stoves, still very disappointing to see on such a new stove though.

I’ve sent VC an email because their Call center is closed due to “covid”, in the mean time if I just drill the end of the crack and fill wire fire cement from the inside and maybe JB weld extreme heat on the outside would this hold me over for the burn season until I can fix it properly? Being without a wood stove all winter would really suck, especially as I have multiple cords of beautifully seasoned oak waiting to go.

You can try that, but in all honesty it looks like the crack is right to the outside bend of the stove so drilling might be difficult, stove cement should work as a patch but it may loosen up with expansion and contraction and fall back out, and if the unit is accidently overfired (+800 def f) you'll prob have more damage then anything which could lead to a dangerous situation if continued to burn or if it happens while the stove is unattended.

The stove is only 3yrs old, this would be the 4th burn season.

I contacted the dealer who sold it to me who basically said “sorry, I don’t sell these anymore because of tons of problems like this, you’ll have to contact VC directly”....I guess I’ll be calling them today. Sigh.
What a bummer. Tell the dealer, sorry this is a warranty issue. Whether they sell them anymore or not, they should facilitate a replacement.

Thanks for the replies, kind of feared this would be the case as I’ve read a bunch of similar tales of woe on here about VC stoves, still very disappointing to see on such a new stove though.

I’ve sent VC an email because their Call center is closed due to “covid”, in the mean time if I just drill the end of the crack and fill wire fire cement from the inside and maybe JB weld extreme heat on the outside would this hold me over for the burn season until I can fix it properly? Being without a wood stove all winter would really suck, especially as I have multiple cords of beautifully seasoned oak waiting to go.
I really hope they have improved things and you get the stove replaced. And yes make the dealer you bought it from do the leg work. It doesn't matter if they sell them anymore or not they are responsible for warranty work on products they sold

Last edited:
Reactions: Diabel