VC Defiant.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Gee

Oct 8, 2024
Massachusetts
I come before you today to say what you know and do not say about the VC Defiant. It is starving for air. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Some of you hint around about the ways you do things. But the truth is that it's starving for air and everyone knows that. If you all were to come right out and say that, the company might respond and make adjustments. As long as you all pretend that everything is hunky dory, nothing changes, nothing gets better. You know who you are that are failures in this regard. Shame on you. Jam a mitten warmer under the edge of the top load and hang your head in shame.

Ha, I wouldn’t say they are starved for air just that the down draft design can be really finicky to run and that you need optimal conditions for this type of stove to burn properly.

Reactions: AsylumResident
It can sometimes feel like it's starved for air especially if your wood is not optimal or when you're starting it from cold. But try and tell me that it's starved for air when you're trying to calm down a nuclear runaway catalyst when it's 0 degrees outside....

Reactions: AsylumResident
Everbodys install is different, length of chimney, tightness of house, elevation, wood moisture are a few of the factors that can affect your draft. While VCs are known to be difficult, many people run them without issues.

Reactions: bholler
I come before you today to say what you know and do not say about the VC Defiant. It is starving for air. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Some of you hint around about the ways you do things. But the truth is that it's starving for air and everyone knows that. If you all were to come right out and say that, the company might respond and make adjustments. As long as you all pretend that everything is hunky dory, nothing changes, nothing gets better. You know who you are that are failures in this regard. Shame on you. Jam a mitten warmer under the edge of the top load and hang your head in shame.
Can you describe your install and chimney system a bit? Yes vc stoves can absolutely be temperamental and you wont ever see me defending their design but with proper draft and good dry fuel they generally work reasonably well.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, "starved for air" means the flue, which is the engine of the stove, doesn't have enough draft that sucks in air into the stove.
How tall is your flue, stove top to chimney cap?

And, as noted, wet wood generally needs a lot more air to stay lit than dry wood does. You being in MA, I surmise you don't burn pine but instead oak or maple or so. Has it been split and stacked off the ground for two years?

Is this a new installation? Rather than starving for air, it's possible the stove is starving for draft. Knowing a lot more about the setup would help starting with the model # of the Defiant and the flue setup.

Whats the MC of the wood your burning.. just out of curiosity

Just a heads-up . also its shoulder season.. its not that cold out a all and it certainly hasn't been cold up in mass.. Your definitely not getting much in the way of draft this time of year.. come December/January stove performance is at its best

Give it some time... youll learn.. its only the beginning of October.. Im not even close to lightning the stove and you leaves have barely changed color..

Not many stoves right now in our region drafting well.. its not a VC thing and waaayyyy to early to be pushing the panic button..

Reactions: bholler