VC Defiant Catalytic Element Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat Miser

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2007
Pacific NW
Hello All,

It's been good running my stove the past week or so 24/7 now that it's cold enough. It's been producing the heat I love. Also, in a power outage during some bad storms last week my wife and I were happy knowing we had heat.

My stove is a VC Defiant catalytic purchased new in 2005. I've been watching the stove closely now to make sure it is running well. Part of this process involves me peeking in and seeing how the catalytic element is running during operation. It appears fine and glows from time to time during the low-slow burns as the fire lulls and more smoke is made. I still feel I have a few years of life left in this current element as I am very religious about following the operation procedures and not doing anything to contaminate it. Outside the only thing you see from our chimney are waves of heat and our chimney sweep always reports that our pipe barely needs cleaning.

Yet, reading threads here from posters like Elk had me wondering whether it would be worth it to replace the OEM catalytic with an aftermarket one that lights off at a lower temp? Would this provide more heat? Would I need to adjust the thermostatic control to set the temp differently? Are there other reasons why I might consider one of the newer elements and the associated expense? I was considering ordering one just to have a spare. However I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pull out the OEM version and put in the new cartridge and keep the used OEM as the spare? Or maybe I should just leave this thing alone?

Any thoughts?

BTW. The stove is burning 12 hours between reloads on low-heat with lots of coals left to start the next load. I'm very happy with the real-world burn times.

leave it as is!

12 hour burns are great

the newer ones that light off at lower temps are also reported to have lower peak temps.
Im not sure that is a trade off that is worth while, Id have to test both ( higher peaks, or lower ignition temps) in my own situation to decide.

I keep limping mine along too, thinking I will replace it, but it glows 100%, and isnt cracked or broken, I cant see replacing it while it is still working.

until It physically crumbles, I dont think I will.

granted, I do remove it, and blow it out, once a month of so during the heating season.

Sounds like 's working great so I wouldn't replace it yet. There is some talk of these new stainless super cats, that lite off at lower temps and resist thermal shock. Wait til those babies come out in the next couple years!

www.advancedcatalyst.com

I talked to them a few days ago and they said it would be early next year before their supply catches up. I asked him about light-off temperatures and he said that it is possible that they light off somewhat earlier due to reduced mass that has to heat up, but he said the chemistry is exactly the same as the other brands: regulated by EPA not the manufacturer. I would still like to try one just to avoid the thermal crumbling which has always killed ours within a year or two.

I inspected my catalytic element today and saw that it looked out of kilter. So I pulled it out and one half of the element is warped and not set in the metal frame correctly. The element isn't moving when I push on it, but perhaps under heat it would.

I've attached a thumnail of the problem. Is this element still OK to use? I don't see any cracking or crumbling, but I'm tempted to swap it out because of the warpage. This is my third season with this element. I burn 24/7 during the winter months. Thanks.

Attachments

• VC Defiant Catalytic Element Replacement
    IMG_4134.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 253
  • VC Defiant Catalytic Element Replacement
    IMG_4125.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 224
I'd replace it. You have it out and it is questonable. The combustor makes a big difference in wood use and creosote production on your stove. I'd buy the best converter I could get and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.