VC Dauntless - Hearthstone Castleton - Jotul F500 - new purchase guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, just found the forum, great info and thanks for all the good postings! I am in search of a new stove to replace my old Waterford. A lot to choose from.
Heating area is a large kitchen, open, cathedral ceiling in most of the area. The single large room is Approx 800 sq ft, but has a small bath off it, also open archways/door ways on both sides into other portions of the house. I have started my search with the 50K BTU number in mind. Would like to circulate some of the heat out into these passageways as well. Here is what I am thinking I would like in a new stove:

Non CAT
18 inch log
Side load
Sitting area is close to stove
Current stove is rated at 33K BTU - and is on the small side
6 inch top outlet

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
Is there a particular reason for the sideload option? That's not an option on two of the stoves listed. The reason I ask is that there are many good stoves to choose from that are front load only. Also, two of the stoves mentioned have a cat.

Sideload is just a preference for neatless only. Not a show stopper. I thought the VC was able to be purchased either with or without a cat? Two different models for 2020, no?

I made an error. Still learning about the Dauntless. It's a new model. All three stoves are catalytic. If that is a real criteria there are other 2020 non-cat stove to consider. Check out the non-cat Jotul F45 and the PE Alderlea T5.

It looks like another criteria is aesthetics. All of these stoves have a classic look.