VC Catalytic Converter Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

silver78

May 12, 2019
Mid Atlantic USA
I have a thread about my VC 1910 Defiant but this is a more generalized question about VC stoves. So I have the catalytic converter system and like other models it has what looks to me to be a weak non metal box around the converter honeycomb. From what I read the box often breaks apart and needs replacing. Now I am certainly no expert on wood stove design but I wonder why this box is made out of such a weak material. Why isn't it made of cast iron or some other metal? Any info you have on this topic is appreciated. Thanks!

It’s made from compressed ceramic wool because nothing else can handle the heat without failing even quicker.
I made a non-cat and a cat combustion box from a product called Skamol. It’s a vermiculite based board that is used for baffles and other high heat tasks, more common in stoves from Europe. Neither of them held up. I decided it’s because the product doesn’t expand without disintegrating. If there was a better product, I’m sure VC would have jumped on it way back when..

You will see this more too.
I think it’s for 2 reasons, most warranty claims are from the cat falling apart, steel cats may quit working, but they stay intact and the average user doesn’t know it’s failed. In testing, the steel cat fires up quicker thus burns cleaner for the test. After it gets some use in the real world, this may not be the case, but that’s not what’s important to the manufacturer.. I definitely prefer ceramic cats after having both.

One thing I've noticed is that the steel honeycomb appears to be smaller and thereby may be restricting the air flow (draft) more. Not nessasarily a good thing if your draft is not above average to begin with. Would love to try a ceramic one to compare directly but not sure you can get one for the new Intrepid the right size but haven't really looked yet.

For me the issue is that they clog up pretty easily with ash. Also, they become active quicker, but fall out of the active zone earlier than a cerimac because they don’t have as much thermal mass. I am able to reload while the cat is still in the active zone, since I burn 24/7, I prefer that over fast startups.

Ceramic is much cheaper and lasts just as long. Another pro.

I clean an encore 2in1 every year, 2 seasons is all the cat will last without falling apart. It’s such a sad design... she was warned before she bought it fortunately. She wanted that VC quality! So got it!

Reactions: Highbeam