Variable space to heat- what size stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
Hi all- we put an addition on our house, and now need to choose a wood stove. The addition consists of a separate apartment, plus some additional space on the main house. There is a door that separates the "AirBnB" apartment (which will sometimes be closed, when rented), but when there are no renters, the door will be open, so the space to be heated will vary from 582 sf to 900+ sf.

Is it better to size for the smallest space, or better to size for the larger space? We actually weren't planning to let stranger renters use the stove (closed door/smaller space situation), but there may be a time in the future that there will be a long-term live-in person in the new apartment who will have permission to operate the stove, but with the door closed, making the space 582sf.

If we get a larger stove, and the space is closed to 582 sf, ie a stove that is too large for the space, how bad is that? The small stoves I have been looking at have such a puny firebox, I am just thinking about having to fill it all the time, and split the wood into tiny pieces.

For reference, I have been looking at the Morso 1440 and 6140 (for the small options) and the Morso 8140 for the larger option. The smaller ones are listed as "up to 30,000 BTU/hour"/1000sf vs "35,000/1200sf".

And on an unrelated note- the new construction is super insulated, but the old house is super drafty. I assume I don't need to get an OAK unless we find there is a draft problem after installation, correct?

Thanks for your input!

I'm going to say bad idea with renters and a stove. Too many have no idea how to operate one. They think they do though. And there is a learning curve.

yes, agree, which is why it will be off limits to short term renters. Longer term maybe able to prove their ability. For now, I just don't know what size stove to get given the variable size situation.