Variable fan - older VC Winter Warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kstarr

Feb 9, 2020
CT
I am guessing my VC Winter Warm small is about 28 years old. Lighting took out the fans and the variable speed control a few years back. I replaced the fans and by-passed the wiring to the variable control a while back, so now the fans only run on high all the time. I would like to replace the variable speed control, but the only real VC part I could find was prohibitively expensive and hard to find (and I don't feel like pulling the stove again to access the controller location). I tried a rheostat installed in-line (a Harbor Freight router controller), but it would not work correctly - only on high. It seems there should be a way to install a generic controller in-line - but is some special type of controller is needed? Does anyone know what type of controller is needed, so that I might apply a simple solution to this old stove?

Can you still read the specs on the existing rheostat?
If you can, look for a similar one at a hearth shop.
Here's one that may be a fit...

Can you still read the specs on the existing rheostat?
If you can, look for a similar one at a hearth shop.
Here's one that may be a fit...

Thanks! I don't want to pull the insert again - but I was able to find a cheap rheostat on Amazon, put in in-line, and it worked.

Reactions: DAKSY