Valor H5 install and Drywall Discoloring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warrenoliver

Mar 13, 2019
mcfarland, wi
I have a question that I am hoping the members here can help with. We plan to replace our 30 year old Heat N Glo EM42 AT fireplace with a new Valor H5 gas fireplace. We plan to use this primarily for ambiance rather than for heating. We are located in Wisconsin so my wife plans to use it in the evening from November into April.

The fireplace is in our large, cathedral ceiling great room situated in a drywall chase between two large picture windows. The current fireplace has a raised hearth covered with 6" tile and a single row of tile then continues around the the trim of the fireplace. An oak mantle is about 2' above the top fireplace trim.

We plan to remove the old firebox and 8" triple wall chimney from the chase. The elevated hearth and the tile surrounding the trim will be removed. We hope to have a very clean looking install of the new Valor H5 with either 1" or 3" trim over the drywall. We are undecided on the mantle but I think it will be removed and possibly be replaced with a different style.

The issue we have is that the fireplace store owner has cautioned us that the paint directly above the fireplace will probably discolor from the heat from the fireplace. He suggests a tile surround extending several feet above the fireplace. We are not sold on the tile idea since we are looking for a clean finish. We do not care for the look of brick or stone in this setting.

Any ideas on how to prevent this discoloring?