vacuum switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrig

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
how can I by pass the vacuum switch till I can get a new one .Or can I move the hose from lower nipple to upper.Thank for any help this a 2004 25-pdv

first question : how do you know that it's the vacuum switch that's the problem ? in order for you to know that , you'd have to know how to test it and if you knew how to test it , you'd know how to jump it .

the vacuum switch is a safety mechanism . jumping it may get your stove running , but not necessarily because your vacuum switch is bad . you'll just be overiding that safety masking the real problem and possibly waking up in the morning dead .

try describing your problem , then maybe someone here might be able to help you :)

Ten plus year old stove probably needs at least a new set of door gaskets. Then the venting may need to be cleaned well and the exhaust fan-motor assembly tended to. The hose barb of the stoves vacuum testing chamber area often plugs or the hose itself cracks. Vacuum switches seem to have a very low failure rate.

Vacuum switches seem to have a very low failure rate.
Harman had gotten a batch of bad ones at round the time I got my stove. My dealer was replacing a number of them under warranty.

In general your statement is true, but there have been times when a rash of failures occurred.

Harman had gotten a batch of bad ones at round the time I got my stove. My dealer was replacing a number of them under warranty.

In general your statement is true, but there have been times when a rash of failures occurred.
But then that would not probably not be the case here as the stove is over ten years old and manufacture defect should have been found well before now.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
How do you know the OP has a Harman? There is no stove listed in his signature nor on his profile. Could be anything from a Dove-Tec to a Envro......... Just say'in_g

Didn't see that but then I'm blind pretty much at my advanced age.

Reactions: slvrblkk
Reactions: slvrblkk
Hope your not hunting close to me:)

Miles City, Montana next November.

Why I buy uber expensive optics. To compensate for my old, tired eyes.

How do you know the OP has a Harman? There is no stove listed in his signature nor on his profile. Could be anything from a Dove-Tec to a Envro......... Just say'in_g
Vacuum switches aren't unique to Harman - just a data point, there was a bad batch in a production line somewhere. So it can happen to any vacuum switch.

I took the one on my stove and tossed it. Plugged the orfice and called it good.

Countryside did not have one on the Magnum. If it had there would have been a lot more stove cleaning.

Countryside did not have one on the Magnum. If it had there would have been a lot more stove cleaning.

Thats true but I have the USSC copy and USSC in their infinite wisdom (lol) added one and the corresponding electronics. I have to hand it to USSC, always (well almost always) copy something good and market it as your own.....

Same pot, same drives (at least the older ones like mine) and same HX. It's a good design and inexpensive to fabricate.

Status
Not open for further replies.