USSC 5600 Bay Front Stove Modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

titanracer

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2011
South Central PA., Newville
Just curious, my stove has a controller style when you up the pellet feed rate, it also ups the room blower speed to the next level, all set by board configuration. I was wondering if I could somehow put the room blower motor on some kind of speed switch, to where I can adjust it manually to maybe blow more, and maybe get more heat coming from stove, at running a lower pellet feed rate. How could I do this with out causing stove to maybe error out. Have not tried anything yet, just wondering if it can even be done. Thanks!

Doesn’t look good. You could probably try with a lamp cord directly to the convection blower and see if it throws any error codes

Just curious, my stove has a controller style when you up the pellet feed rate, it also ups the room blower speed to the next level, all set by board configuration. I was wondering if I could somehow put the room blower motor on some kind of speed switch, to where I can adjust it manually to maybe blow more, and maybe get more heat coming from stove, at running a lower pellet feed rate. How could I do this with out causing stove to maybe error out. Have not tried anything yet, just wondering if it can even be done. Thanks!
According to the manual if you push the "fan" button it will go to the highest setting overriding the heat range setting. That will strip more heat.

You certainly don't want to run it lower than the heat setting as you will probably cause the stove to trip the overheat and shut down.

Don’t run the jumper to the motor while the leads are connected to the control. You could damage the control.

Reactions: tlc1976
Do you have the controller on the top or side? The side control I'm not familiar with. The top control is the same one used in my stove, and sadly there's no way to modify settings on the stock board. I have had my exhaust blower on an override switch for the last year or more with no ill effects. Yes it disconnects both leads from the board before inserting power from an outlet, with a dead middle space on the switch for extra caution. Looking at the circuit boards, the room fan could be run the exact same way, maybe through a motor speed control. I've thought about something like that for mine, since the Pro Pellets burn so much hotter. Lots of things I could do if I had the time.