Using silicone in your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
I see that people in the past have used silicone when working on there stove for either a rebuild or routine maintenance. I was wondering if the silicone that I keep at my shop will work for.. door, griddle, ash pan if I need to work on my stove. The picture below is stuff that I keep around, or is something else better to use. This is if I need to do any gasket work..using silicone instead of the cement in some areas

20210110_071325.jpg

Last edited:
I'd venture to say if your going to hit the air control rod mechanism it should be fine since it should get above 400 deg f, anything exposed to direct flame or located on the internal side of the stove I would refrain from use. Door hinges might require graphite or the copper stuff.

I'd venture to say if your going to hit the air control rod mechanism it should be fine since it should get above 400 deg f, anything exposed to direct flame or located on the internal side of the stove I would refrain from use. Door hinges might require graphite or the copper stuff.
I did a edit to the original post.. this would be for adhering gaskets to the stove in some areas vs cement

The Napoleon OEM door gasket I bought came with loctite 596 RTV

Silicone usually doesn't work for griddle gaskets. But 700 should be plenty for doors.

Reactions: Jags
I am using the Permatex Ultra Copper rated to 700 degrees on the Princess door gasket..going into the 2nd winter with it and no issues...and I dont run this stove real low.

Attachments

• Using silicone in your stove
    TZLxhzVaTYKyYnfqfAvzAQ.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 83
Ultra copper on my door gasket. Several years now.