Using masonry chimney without liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

thekolmans

Feb 4, 2011
Canon City, CO
I just bought a used consolidated dutchwest (extra large convection) that has an 8" flue. My existing masonry chimney is approx. 12"x12". Can I just use the existing chimney without putting a chimney liner through it? It actually has a 6" liner already in it, but I'm considering taking it out so I don't have draw problems. If I can just use the chimney, how far up should I put pipe? I don't know much about the science of stoves, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The best way is to fully line with an 8 inch liner. That being said, what we call a "slammer" install would be to use 8" flex through the smoke shelf and up into the chimney, past the first flue tile. This could work for you, or not. The draft isn't as good this way, and when you sweep the chimney, everything has to come out. You also have to use a blocking plate where the pipe goes through the fireplace damper and make it as airtight as humanly possible.

You will find that most here will recommend "doing it right" and fully line with a proper sized 8" liner. It is the safest and best performing option.

The fact that there is already a liner in there is a good indication of the need for one. Is there a 12 x 12 tile liner in the chimney or just raw brick? How tall is the existing 6" liner?

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, doing it right is well beyond our budget right now, so trying to look for an alternative until we have the money to do that. Here's what little I know about the existing chimney- there is no smoke shelf or damper that I can see- it was built with a specific fireplace insert that had all that attached (built in 1914), so what I see is the chimney going straight up. I'm not sure if there is tile liner, but I'm assuming not. I believe the 6" liner is about 30', but that's a guess. I'm actually going to measure it later today. The liner was installed in 2002 by the previous owners for the stove they bought for the place, but they took the stove with them when they moved. We've been here since August 2010.

Might be best to buy something with a six inch?

Yep sell the stove and buy a 6" flu stove. If the liner is in good condition you will save big by using it. I mean BIG. This is the way to go.
Obviously the former owners were happy with their stove. Could you ask what they had before? This would pinpoint the size.

I guess I am the odd man out. With a thirty foot liner and a stove that was designed back when nobody knew what a chimney liner even was I would hook the sucker up to that liner and give it a try. Why go through a bunch of work before you know if you even need to or not. If the draft sucks, well actually if it doesn't suck, then you will end up doing the same work you are thinking about now.

I was in the same situation a few months back. I ran an old insert with a 12"x12" chimney for a month and it worked ok.

I then bought a new insert, because of the tax credit, and installed an insulated 6" liner for my new regency and I love it - it works great! Great draft and I am heating my entire bi-level home via wood. (I am still learning on how to burn properly and the importance of good wood.)

I installed the liner in order to do the job right; not have to worry about chimney fires and make cleaning easy. I installed it myself and if you are handy you can do it also. A friend and I installed the liner and insert in one afternoon.

A good 8" liner will run you ~$500 for 25" without accessories good luck.

Oh, and it is code for any new installs here to have a liner.

BrotherBart said:
I guess I am the odd man out. With a thirty foot liner and a stove that was designed back when nobody knew what a chimney liner even was I would hook the sucker up to that liner and give it a try. Why go through a bunch of work before you know if you even need to or not. If the draft sucks, well actually if it doesn't suck, then you will end up doing the same work you are thinking about now.

+1. Agreed. Not much to lose by trying it out. With a 30ft liner it might work fine.

My old insert, the same age as a CDutchwest had an eight inch flue collar too. When I hooked it up to a twenty one foot six inch liner the draft was downright scary strong.

BrotherBart said:

+1. My application is a little different, but I vent through a thimble on the opposite side of my fireplace, just above the smoke shelf. 11" square masonry flue (tiled). When I was first planning my install, I was concerned with the need to add a liner (didn't want the fireplace to be non-functional - same flue with stove). After discussions here, with advice to both line and leave be, I decided to try without a liner. So far, excellent draft and creosote seems light - glad I didn't line. I'd go for it, and see how your stove functions. Cheers!

BrotherBart said:

+3 - try it with the 6"

If there is a full length 6 inch liner I personally would just hook up to that and try it. You don't have anything to lose trying.

I wouldn't even dream of venting into a chimney without any sort of liner (clay or stainless, etc.)

agartner said:
The best way is to fully line with an 8 inch liner. That being said, what we call a "slammer" install would be to use 8" flex through the smoke shelf and up into the chimney, past the first flue tile. This could work for you, or not. The draft isn't as good this way, and when you sweep the chimney, everything has to come out. You also have to use a blocking plate where the pipe goes through the fireplace damper and make it as airtight as humanly possible.

You will find that most here will recommend "doing it right" and fully line with a proper sized 8" liner. It is the safest and best performing option.

I thought a slammer was no pipe at all, and that a pipe up to a clay liner is a direct connect. Am I missing something...

to the OP...with a chimney that old, with no clay use a liner. The big question--is the pipe in there now a modern ss flex liner, or some ancient stovepipe some yahoo stuffed in there?

woodgeek said:
I thought a slammer was no pipe at all, and that a pipe up to a clay liner is a direct connect. Am I missing something...

You are correct. A "slammer" install uses no pipe. A "direct connect" uses a piece of pipe just up into the first flue tile. And with his free standing stove a slammer install ain't on the options list.

A slammer is indeed an older insert "installed" in a fireplace with basically no stovepipe at all. There were a lot of these done in the 70s and it's my personal goal in life to eliminate every one.

A direct connect installation is done by using a stub of stainless liner which passes up through the damper and ends in the first flue tile. This is an approved and legal connection provided certain sizing criteria are met where applicable. Though it's legal, it's inefficient and dirty, and very difficult to clean properly. Improper or incomplete cleaning can be a fire hazard.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Whoops, guess I stand corrected, thank you. Using the adapter is a good call. If it works, then great. If it doesnt then the op is only out 12 bucks. And a he'll of a lot easier than having to remove the original liner.

[/quote]

A slammer is indeed an older insert "installed" in a fireplace with basically no stovepipe at all. There were a lot of these done in the 70s and it's my personal goal in life to eliminate every one.

.[/quote]

Feel free to pick up where you left off with focusing on me. Im wanting to eliminate my current syatem asap but it aint easy.

Quick update- after being out of town for a week, I finally got the stove installed using the 8" to 6" reducer and it's working great. Draw seems to be fine and so far, no smoke in the living room! Thanks for everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.