Using aluminum for block off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I need to install block off plate. I have a lot of left over aluminum coil from time when I did siding for my house . Can I use it to make the plate or part of it. It really easy to work with it and bend it. It's on a thin side . But I guess can it can work.
Something like this:

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I need to install block off plate. I have a lot of left over aluminum coil from time when I did siding for my house . Can I use it to make the plate or part of it. It really easy to work with it and bend it. It's on a thin side . But I guess can it can work.
Something like this:
It should work

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Something like this:
Melting point of aluminum is 1,221° F.

The coil of aluminum might be an alloy, but if so, I'm guessing it would raise the melting point.

Hopefully your stove pipe/liner never gets to that temperature. And even if it did, it probably wouldn't destroy the plate, as it probably won't be touching.

I have a coil of the same stuff, and have been unsuccessful getting the steel one done satisfactorily. Maybe I'll give it another go with the aluminum with your inspiration.

A couple of ribs bent into it N-S would probably help keep it ridgid.

Reactions: Dmitry
One thing to check is whether it has plastic facing on the wicker side, or if it's painted. I might not use it if it was laminated PVC (though really, a small plastic fire in the chimney shouldn't hurt much).

Just take a knife to the corner and see if you can peel up the "paint" or not. If you can't, it's probably paint. :)

Reactions: Dmitry and bholler