Used Phoenix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty79

Sep 23, 2011
New Hampshire
Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a wood stove and am considering either the Heathstone Phoenix or Mansfield. I found this one on Craigslist..what do you think? I was told it is being sold because there is another unit in the basement that will heat the whole house...

It's 3 years old model #8612

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Used Phoenix
    phoenix1.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 282
    phoenix2.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 287
    phoenix3.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 283
It will work with more frequent loading, though I suspect you will be back in December inquiring about a larger stoves.

BeGreen said:
It will work with more frequent loading, though I suspect you will be back in December inquiring about a larger stoves.

I agree. The Phoenix is no larger than the Heritage.

I hear what you're saying, I found a Mansfield too, all 550lbs of it...

Attachments

mansfield1.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 260
    mansfield2.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 265
smitty79 said:

Check for cracked stones. Looks nice, though.

Looks like a nice stove...not sure of the price?
Also, would help if you could give us some basics of your house...i.e. area, number of stories, insulation, etc...
For the right price, that may be a good fine for you if your house isn't too large.

daveswoodhauler said:
Also, would help if you could give us some basics of your house...i.e. area, number of stories, insulation, etc...
For the right price, that may be a good fine for you if your house isn't too large.

He already did in a previous thread.

smitty79 said:

That's the one I would be calling on. Is that in blue-black enamel?

Yep, they are heavy. Our Alderlea weighs about the same. But if you have the right equipment, it's possible to move without too much hassle. Four of us + a heavy duty handtruck and a couple ratchet straps moved our T6 into place.

BrowningBAR said:
daveswoodhauler said:

He already did in a previous thread.

Ah, the ole "new thread"..sorry I didn't see it.

smitty79 said:
I have a truck and a couple of biceps that my wife makes fun of.......haha
Although, the Phoenix is 440lbs, not exactly a one man job.

Rent a low trailer and an appliance dolly.

You guys out East have all the good luck on used stoves, all we have around here are old Franklin or barrel stoves stoves for sale. Both look like they're in pretty good shape.

Todd said:
You guys out East have all the good luck on used stoves, all we have around here are old Franklin or barrel stoves stoves for sale. Both look like they're in pretty good shape.

I was thinking the same thing Todd. It's probably good thing that I don't have stoves like that for sale on CL around me or I would be changing out stoves like tennis shoes just to try them all out...... :lol:

Same here, but mostly old tanks like Orleys and Schraders. The nice Jotuls and Hearthstones usually go very quickly.

certified106 said:
Todd said:

I was thinking the same thing Todd. It's probably good thing that I don't have stoves like that for sale on CL around me or I would be changing out stoves like tennis shoes just to try them all out...... :lol:

Yeah, I'd probably end up like some crazy BrowningBAR dude trying out a new stove every week. :lol:

Todd said:
certified106 said:
Todd said:

Yeah, I'd probably end up like some crazy BrowningBAR dude trying out a new stove every week. :lol:

The poor choices of those around me fuel my sickness.

certified106 said:
Todd said:

4 in 4 years!

Oh good ones can go quick here too, but theres more people in general. That and driving two states to pick one up cause its a wicked sweet deal, isnt the same as you guys out west.

Still looking for that 207cl....

smitty79 said:
I have a truck and a couple of biceps that my wife makes fun of.......haha
Although, the Phoenix is 440lbs, not exactly a one man job.
I sold four stoves in August and loaded them all into the buyer's trucks. It was a pain, moving one of those beasts takes it out of you for the rest of the day! The heaviest one I had was the Dutchwest (double walled cast iron) weighing in at 435 pounds. A hand truck and some tie down straps were enough to go up the planks into the pick up truck, with the help of the buyer pushing it up while I pulled.

If you do decide on the phoenix get used to the weight of it because you'll probably be trading it in for a bigger one next year! :lol: It is a nice stove and the right age, just a bit small for your house!

You could always get an additional stove elsewhere to supplement! :-)

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought the phoenix was more a cast stove with soapstone panels...veres a mansfield or heritage which is just a cast iron skeleton holding the stones...

I looked at buying a phoenix, didnt come with short legs ruled it out. If i had your choices another mansfield vote here. Had my eye on one but browning went there with a sledgehammer trying to remove it.....:)
Couldnt resist sorry.

Stump_Branch said:
Correct me if im wrong, but i thought the phoenix was more a cast stove with soapstone panels...veres a mansfield or heritage which is just a cast iron skeleton holding the stones...

I looked at buying a phoenix, didnt come with short legs ruled it out. If i had your choices another mansfield vote here. Had my eye on one but browning went there with a sledgehammer trying to remove it.....:)
Couldnt resist sorry.

It has a cast front face. I think it was there attempt at speeding up the time of the stove giving off heat while still having the soapstone.

Have you seen a suitable replacement for that find yet? I know your looking at a 30...

Stump_Branch said:
Have you seen a suitable replacement for that find yet? I know your looking at a 30...

If I do the 30 it will go right were the Vigilant is. If I happen to luck into a Defiant/Mansfield/etc it would go where the Heritage is and the Heritage would move to where the Vigilant is.

The 30 just would not look good in the room that has the Heritage in it. But the 30 would look pretty nice in the walk-in fireplace that the Vigilant calls home.

Status
Not open for further replies.