Used Pellet Stove for sale - What do I ask?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

msb91932

Nov 19, 2012
Hey, everyone!

Mike from PA here. As I posted earlier this week, I am looking to replace my 23+ year old pellet stove. I have found a used Harman, and I am wondering what sort of questions do I ask. it seems to be about a year old, and based on the pictures, it looks to be in very good shape. Initially, I asked if the stove was burned 24/7, or sporadically (I burn mine 24/7), and if they had any issues, or had to replace any parts, etc.

Anything else that I should ask and verify prior to making a purchase? Sorry, I have never bought a used stove before, and want to be sure I cover all my bases.

Thanks, Mike

Not much can go wrong with a Harman in only a year. So I'm wondering why they are selling. Or, has it only been installed for a year and they bought an used one? They should be able to tell you, or provide a picture of the "born on date" - which is the testing month/year that is on the tag. My question would be why are they selling?

I guess they could be selling their house and the buyer won't throw any more in for them to leave the stove so it's better for them to sell individually. Or, maybe they decided that moving pellets wasn't for them (or their health status changed).

I'd also ask if it had an end of season cleaning - and was that done by a professional or them? If they did it themselves, then they should be able to tell you what steps they took, which should include cleaning the igniter area and the fines box as well as the exhaust and general interior of the stove. It would be nice if they used a protectant to keep rust at bay on the interior, but a little rust isn't a concern. The worst that could happen if they didn't clean some of those areas is humidity build up could cause fines or ash to clump together, but should still be able to be cleared out without any issues.

Honestly, if it's date is a couple of years or less, unless they installed and ran it outside in the weather all that time (highly unlikely), I wouldn't have any worries about it at all. Although I would make sure that they didn't get a rat/mouse infestation in which all the wiring was chewed up or something stupid like that. You can ask them to run it in test to make sure the pellets move into the burn pot and both fans work. Then have them open the door while in test and run it for a minute or two to ensure the fans continue to work (the exhaust fan would stay on all the time and the room fan would blow for a short duration every minute or so).

Go and look at it photos can be deceiving. For me, it is to see
and hear it working and how clean inside and out it is and you can verify the build date

make sure you have then fire it up and run it for a bit before you do anything. I would also be interested into why they are getting rid of it after a year.

Born on date and serial # will be on the tag behind the hopper lid.

Reactions: scajjr2