Used P61, What's My Next Step?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GMadd

Oct 15, 2014
Highland, NY
Hi everyone. I bought an old Harman P61 on Craigslist for $75 after consulting with Don from East Coast Hearth (Thanks Don!). The previous owner told me that they think it needs a new combustion blower because they heard a thud then it started smoking. I'm totally new to Harman so don't know much about diagnostics. Suppose I should turn it on and see what happens? Or should I just buy a new combustion blower and hope that their guess is correct? Thanks.

Here's some photos from the Craigslist post: https://photos.app.goo.gl/16opTtVo1cYJBaGm9

Last edited:
I would remove the rear shrouds & get inside to take a look at what's in there. That's an old dog & probably needs a LOT of TLC.
Vacuum out the dust. Check the wiring & connections. See if there is any sign of damage. Before you start throwing MORE money at it, see if you can figure out HOW it works. Here's some info that may help you...

Attachments

• training-guides_pellet-stove-service (1).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 824
I would remove the rear shrouds & get inside to take a look at what's in there. That's an old dog & probably needs a LOT of TLC.
Vacuum out the dust. Check the wiring & connections. See if there is any sign of damage. Before you start throwing MORE money at it, see if you can figure out HOW it works. Here's some info that may help you...

Ok, I'll start there. Thanks!

Reactions: DAKSY
So tons of dust, a few dead mice, yeah TLC sounds fair! Anybody know what size Alan Wrench will take the combustion blower fan blade wheel set screw off? Can't seem to get it.

should be 1/8” Allen. My guess is it’s gonna be frozen there so soak the crapp out of it and good luck. You may end up cutting it off the shaft. Did you try running it in test mode to listen to the motors run

I'll try that but I think you are right, might have to cut it off . Amazing thing is that I don't think I need a new combustion blower after all. Found a petrified mouse ( in addition to the four baby mice under the ash pan) stuck to the combustion fan blades . Took it out, boom, everything works in test mode!!!! Now I have to clean the heck out of thing!

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_171100.jpg
    IMG_20190501_171100.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Reactions: Don2222
should be 1/8” Allen. My guess is it’s gonna be frozen there so soak the crapp out of it and good luck. You may end up cutting it off the shaft. Did you try running it in test mode to listen to the motors run

Heat - that is what has worked for me in the past. If not, yeah, drill out the Allen screw or cut the shaft.

Reactions: GMadd
Soak it in PB blaster, you may get lucky...great find and looking forward to your progress...once I have some free time I plan on doing a thread on my P61.

Are the P61A conversion kits available anymore or do you have to order the individual parts?

Hi everyone. I bought an old Harman P61 on Craigslist for $150 after consulting with Don from East Coast Hearth (Thanks Don!). The previous owner told me that they think it needs a new combustion blower because they heard a thud then it started smoking. I'm totally new to Harman so don't know much about diagnostics. Suppose I should turn it on and see what happens? Or should I just buy a new combustion blower and hope that their guess is correct? Thanks.

Here's some photos from the Craigslist post: https://photos.app.goo.gl/16opTtVo1cYJBaGm9

Heat - that is what has worked for me in the past. If not, yeah, drill out the Allen screw or cut the shaft.

This is how that wound up....

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_165357.jpg
    IMG_20190505_165357.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 403
There is a "complete" kit,for certain serial numbers, although sometimes you do not need all of the parts that come with it, from my understanding. Some serial numbers it is recommended to replace the feeder plate pusher arm.Don,who helped you with purchase,has done a few,and works on Harmans.I recommend you get parts from him,the prices might be a bit higher,but, you would be supporting a contributing member, and, Don is only a phone call away for help/assistance.

There is a "complete" kit,for certain serial numbers, although sometimes you do not need all of the parts that come with it, from my understanding. Some serial numbers it is recommended to replace the feeder plate pusher arm.Don,who helped you with purchase,has done a few,and works on Harmans.I recommend you get parts from him,the prices might be a bit higher,but, you would be supporting a contributing member, and, Don is only a phone call away for help/assistance.

Yes, planning on ordering from Don, just wondering about specifics . Thanks.

Yes, planning on ordering from Don, just wondering about specifics . Thanks.

Seems like all the old conversion posts are from a number of years ago .

Don has done at least 1,but i think several conversions, on P series Harmans.He also has done lots of factory upgrades on other brands,such as new style control boards,burn pots,etc.I still have an opportunity to purchase a P61, about 2 hours from me,but the guy wants 1500.Heck,I just purchased a P68 for a grand,lol.

Reactions: GMadd and DAKSY
So one of the bolts that holds the combustion blower on is fused to it's nut. I think I'm going to have to cut it off. Can I replace with any stainless steel bolt? The original is flat( has no driverhole) and the inside of the fan chamber and countersunk in. I'm imagining that it's important that the bolt head is the same size as the original so that it fits in the countersink. Any other things I should consider?

Just an update from The Service Writer where I used to work: The conversions kits for making the P61 into a P61A are no longer manufactured or stocked. There may be some hiding in inventory somewhere, tho...

Just an update from The Service Writer where I used to work: The conversions kits for making the P61 into a P61A are no longer manufactured or stocked. There may be some hiding in inventory somewhere, tho...

Hey thanks for the update Daksy! Guess it's going to be getting the parts piece meal! Talked to Don, think he has all the necessary stuff. Not cheap but cheaper than a new Harman. Thanks!

I'm trying to pull the auger to clean. I cut away the red silicone but it's not coming. Do I just pull at this point, pry? Thanks. Didn't want to pull if I was supposed to do something else.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_203843_1.jpg
    IMG_20190513_203843_1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 327
I'm trying to pull the auger to clean. I cut away the red silicone but it's not coming. Do I just pull at this point, pry? Thanks. Didn't want to pull if I was supposed to do something else.
Some that were sealed with silicone were hard to get out,my 06 was.Some that had no silicone rusted in.Feel free to hammer on the front of the auger,with a hammer and a piece of wood.

Some that were sealed with silicone were hard to get out,my 06 was.Some that had no silicone rusted in.Feel free to hammer on the front of the auger,with a hammer and a piece of wood.

Ha ha, Hammer from the front worked! Thanks Bob! Gonna have to polish this rust off! What should I lube the bearings in there with? Not horrible but definitely can use something so the auger spins a little more freely.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_212153.jpg
    IMG_20190513_212153.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 347
Reactions: Mt Bob and DAKSY