Used Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2015
Mountain Dale NY
I heated my house for 7 years with a Vogelzang Heartwood circulator. Was cheap, threw lots of heat but went through a lot of wood.
I did a ton of research and came to the conclusion that the Oslo was the perfect fit for my needs, but way out of my budget. Found a 10 year old stove on Craigslist. Looked nice in the listed pictures, got the guy down to $1400 on it. Drove a bunch of hours to pic it up, got it home and had smoke coming out of the chimney that night. Ran it that way from January till April. Ran well but had some heat control problems, it had a habit of running away to about 600 to 700 range. Took control valve apart, cleaned and lubed but had little impact improvement. Last weekend I changed the door gasket material and guess what? This beast is a controllable, efficient heat monster. I've heated with wood all my life and never believed a stove could be the great. Now this stove cruises in the 500 to 550 zone for all night on a single load of oak. Well all I can say is I am probably the happiest wood burner in town! Used Jotul Oslo

Yes, welcome to the Oslo Club! I just got my new Oslo hooked up three weeks ago. I love it!
I have been heating with wood for 40 years, this is my seventh wood stove, I never saw a stove as beautiful, that is such a good heater.
You have some guts to buy one used I wouldn 't do that. But, looks like with a minor tune up you are in good shape, good for you.

The addition/house my Jotul is in is not quite finished so I can't really enjoy my new stove, ran it for 8 hours yesterday just to throw some heat into the big log cabin while we work on it, it was 26 degrees yesterday morning.
Gonna have that addition finished before Christmas, can't wait to sit in the recliner before that big Norwegian stove with a cold beer in my hand, and watch the snow fall outside my big picture windows.

Congratulations! I also purchased a used F500 last summer and installed it in our cabin where our son and his wife are living. I paid a lot more for mine but it was not quite as old and the local dealer had completely overhauled it. It sounds like you've got yours dialed in just right! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.