Used Hearthstone Hertiage Overfire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tnstove

Oct 19, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
Needing some advice on a Hertiage 8021. The stove was shipped in 2009 and used as a display by the dealer until the owner bought it in 2013. The outside is in perfect condition but I have some concerns about the inside. It has clearly been over fired at some point cause the upper ash grate is warped. Is this a deal breaker? How hard is it to rebuild? Price of rebuild? Right now he wants $850 for it.

Last edited:
Trying to upload photos.

Attachments

• Used Hearthstone Hertiage Overfire?
    8F9A5FE2-54C1-4015-B595-49698BEA1386.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 125
    B233A4AC-4AB7-4BC1-996C-01FF3AEB642C.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 122
    6191D693-8A28-44AB-A0C1-4FFCD2E83586.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 168
    753D45A7-9742-41A0-943A-08AFA917DDC1.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 181
Maybe not overfired but ash pan door leaking or used to start fires?

Reactions: Highbeam
It just lifts out doesn’t it? I’d look really closely for cracked stones too. Run you hands over the surface, sometimes the cracks are hard to see.

The ash pan on these is stupid small and the ash pan door is where the seal is. You could just ignore the failed part, cut it out, or replace it. I don’t believe that replacing that part would require a rebuild since it is not part of the walls, just the base casting.

Good news is that you can just burn it. 859$ is cheap if all else is good.

I suspect he was using the ash pan door as a source of air for the fire. That under-air really heats up the grate. Luckily it didn’t sag down and lock up the sliding ash grate system.

He claims he didn’t use the ash door to start his fires. He’s going to clean it up tonight and I’m going to look at it tomorrow. May post some more pictures to see what your thoughts are. Even if it’s over fired but the stones are good, is $850 to good to pass up?