Used Englnder NC-30 need fiberboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I found a used Englander nc30 for sale for cheap, in great shape but needs a replacement fiberboard.

I see a few different people selling fiber boards or alternatives to fiber boards? Looking for recommendations.

What board do you recommend? Where can I buy it? And what size do I need to cut them to?

I appreciate your help and advice.

If you have a company in your area that works with kilns and heat treatment furnaces they likely will have what you need. the board is rated at 2000 degF it is a ceramic fiber material last time I bough a piece (2'x4'x 1/2") it was around $55. The company here is Firebrick Engineers. You coulld also check with industrial insulation suppliers. The material cuts real easy ( you could even just use a knife) I used a very fine toothed hand saw. Just make one piece abouta1/4" wider to fill the gap over oem. The boards sit on the back ledge and extend forward to just even with the first reburn tube. There is enough room that a 1" thick piece could be used - oem is 1/2"- slows the draft a bit but hardly noticeable. I was playing around looking for a more sustained burn time.

Thank you for the help, I tried to look up the name of that fiberboard company but I could not find it on the internet. Do you happen to know the size that it needs to be for The Englander?

The back of the board doesn't rest on a ledge but on the rearmost tube. Might just want to ask for measurements from an OEM board. My OEM boards are puckered up a bit so they don't lay flat anymore. Some small scratches but otherwise have survived the intense heat pretty well for the last 6 or so years.

Baffles here.

Expensive but exactly what you need.

If your a DIYer, just order a sheet off ebay and use a hacksaw to cut to size, or circular saw like I did. I think you can get a sheet that fits 4 boards for under $90

Yeah fleabay, or at least online aftermarket vendor is the way to go on ceramic fiberboard...DIY them. As was stated, can get 4 for the price of 2 that way...or 2 for the price of one...depending on if you do it in one piece or two

Yeah fleabay, or at least online aftermarket vendor is the way to go on ceramic fiberboard...DIY them. As was stated, can get 4 for the price of 2 that way...or 2 for the price of one...depending on if you do it in one piece or two
Ok thanks, we're checking out Ebay now. Never realized you could do it in one piece of fiberboard instead of two. Is one piece better than 2 or does it matter much?

I'd go 1, unless they come with 2 piece because you can't get a 1 piece in place...

From what I remember you have to make 2 pieces because the door isn't wide enough to take the whole sheet.

Once in place with the tubes back bolted in, I laid a piece of kaowool (some use gasket) to the side to even seal the top up more. I didnt have a pipe on at the time so using my hand through the top helped a lot.

That is what I said ,need to make one board 1/4" or so wider. Fire brick engineers does have a web sight, I would doubt that they would ship tp you. It was a name for a company that does installation and repairs for heat treatment facuties and builds them from scratch according to customer needs. it was just a reference for the type of company one could get material from, not a fan of flea bay, as most often there seems to be a problem with exorbitantly high shipping costs, and scammers.
I

You try to do 1 board and will see why it is done in 2 boards.

That is what I said ,need to make one board 1/4" or so wider. Fire brick engineers does have a web sight, I would doubt that they would ship tp you. It was a name for a company that does installation and repairs for heat treatment facuties and builds them from scratch according to customer needs. it was just a reference for the type of company one could get material from, not a fan of flea bay, as most often there seems to be a problem with exorbitantly high shipping costs, and scammers.
I
Gottcha I appreciate your help and suggestions!

I did find the fiberboard at Simondstore. Shipping was expensive, but if you add up the total it was very comparable. Plus way less money than the one straight from Englander

Reactions: Highbeam
my advantage I can drive over and pick it up. this stuff does not have very much structural strength. so do not start cutting on with out support underneath. a small back saw or a modeling saw is all you need, a power saw of any type is way over kill and sprays the fibers from the cut all over ( a lot like fiberglass fibers)

I've got a NC30 and my dog broke one of my pieces walking on it when I had them out to clean the stove. I bought two new ones on Amazon... I used one and have a spare.

my advantage I can drive over and pick it up. this stuff does not have very much structural strength. so do not start cutting on with out support underneath. a small back saw or a modeling saw is all you need, a power saw of any type is way over kill and sprays the fibers from the cut all over ( a lot like fiberglass fibers)
Thanks for the heads up, initially I was going to cut it on the table saw, maybe I'll lay it on a piece of plywood and use the t-square and a razor knife