Use prior to inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E.Merckx

Nov 11, 2019
New England
Anybody know what happens if a wood stove is used prior to the town doing the inspection?

I'm in Mass, and the Mass site says that the stove must be inspected prior to use but does not say what happens if that is not done - I don't see any reference to a fine or any other penalty.

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about an accident of one kind or another happening, and your homeowners insurance not covering it because you had an unauthorized/inspected wood stove in use.

I live in a rural location, so I could probably run mine all day long and nobody would care. But I'm getting it inspected and notifying my homeowners insurance to protect myself.

Anybody know what happens if a wood stove is used prior to the town doing the inspection?

I'm in Mass, and the Mass site says that the stove must be inspected prior to use but does not say what happens if that is not done - I don't see any reference to a fine or any other penalty.
I guess it's possible they might have a fine for doing it. You would have to ask them. But as wesm said the real danger is that you are most likely not covered by insurance untill it's inspected in your case

Also, posting here with your name would help an insurance company proving you knew you were doing something wrong ...