US Stove 5660 Trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Dec 11, 2013
Michigan
Hey when it rains it pours right? After getting the flame limiter switch problem diagnosed and changed out, now I find a new problem.

On the auger there is a cotter pin that runs through the shaft and connects the motor/shaft. Last night while sitting and watching TV I hear a PING inside the stove. I notice the cotter pin is laying on the bottom of the inside of the stove...it has been snapped in half. I replace the pin with a new one...a few minutes later...same thing. The stove is 2+ years old, has run fine since the last fix...the shaft on the motor still spins and will turn the shaft on the auger for about 10 seconds before it shears a pin...any clue why this could be happening? Can't keep replacing the pins :(

Clean auger.Dissasemble,you might even find a rock in there.Check fit of shaft in the bushings.Lube bushings.

vacuumed out the area where the augeris in the hopper, can't find anything in there that would bind anything up...shaking my head.

It's the shaft of the auger that won't turn. The bushings on the motor seem fine. Gonna hafta do some exploration to get the auger out. I can only find one bolt that looks like it may keep the auger in place.

upon further inspection it looks like the hole for the pin is elongated from the motor sleeve turning against the pin before it breaks.

That explains a lot as even with a new pin there will be a lot of rocking back and forth,possibly wearing new pin fast.Also cotter pins vary in quality.If it were mine I would probably drill it out and put in a roll pin or bolt.I would still service the auger,sounds like too much wear for age of unit.

yeah trying to figure out how to get the auger loose. The motor won't slide off the shaft, the bolt I removed appeared to do nothing. I am thinking a new motor is gonna be in order, but I hafta get the auger out first to be sure nothing is bound up in there.

Don't pry too hard.The motor should only slide into the auger shaft,may be tight because buggered hole.May have to pry that off.The auger on yours may not be an eazy job,may be one of those that has snap rings at either end that have to come off,as the end plates may be welded to stove.You may be able to remove auger cover(in hopper)and judge if bushings are too loose,if not,use some spray lube on them instead of dissabling stove(it's cold out)Worse comes to worse.lube bushings and replace pin and try.

Status
Not open for further replies.