US Stove 5660 exhaust motor overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Regenerate

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus
I bought a US Stove 5660 used last year and have had a ton of issues with it. I have replaced the burn pot, vacuum switch, low heat sensor and exhaust blower. Its been thoroughly cleaned, auger works fine, 18 inches 3" pipe out wall to tee with cleanout and 3 feet vertical to vertical terminal cap, OAK in place. Unit is in a block garage with 6" clearance at back of unit and at least a couple feet on each side.

It has been throwing the vacuum error code level 1&2 flashing after about 1.5 hrs running on level 5 (which can also be an overheat error according to US Stove customer service)

The last time it happened i opened the door on the exhaust blower side and noticed it was not running and the stator field was HOT to touch. This was just installed new a few days ago.

I opened both side doors and it ran fine all night. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm wondering if the combustion blower also needs replaced. I hate to keep throwing money at it but I guess I'm still well below retail on the stove.

Yikes.. not a good machine at all. Those part should last for many, many years.

If you are running it on 5, it should be putting out a ton of heat. Is the fan motor free to turn, it's not bound up some how ?

Anything blocking the vent? this new motor, is it OEM or an aftermarket replacement? does this happen at any other heat settings? do you still have the original fan, check HP and AMP (may be listed as FLA/LRA).

Most stoves,especially cheaper ones,do not recommend running on high for long periods.Might have gotten too hot,and motor seized,which would give you low vacuum,and the code it flashed.There have been other reports of these getting very hot inside the cabinet,some say running it with right door open increases room airflow.Make sure you have room blower set to high,in the programming,and run it with doors open.You could try removing the center rear panel,and try running it with doors shut.Or find a custom body shop that has a louver punch,and louver the side panels.

I think i found the issue. To answer a few questions the new motor is an aftermarket and i think it sits too close to the side of the cabinet so when the door is closed theres not enough room between the fan that cools the stator field and the door thus restricting the airflow and causing the motor to overheat and shut down.
For now i can run the unit with the door open which isn't ideal but also not really a problem in my case. I'll likely cut a hole in the sife of the cabinet and extend the area around the cooling fan a couple inches eventually.

I still wonder if the room blower is working as well as it should. The top of the unit over the heat exchange tubes gets hot enough to melt the plastic bags the pellets come in and if i hold my hand by the output blowing into the room its really hot by the unit but doesnt seem to blow the hot air more than about 18" into the room. At 2ft away you can't really feel much air movement.

If you decide to change your convection blower, make note of your original motor spec's and replace with one as close to the original as you can find. a lot of the aftermarket are lower amp's=less torque under load, lower RPM