upstairs/renters, downstairs/owners- where to place stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
So, we are planning a large addition to our home, which will serve several functions. The upstairs (first floor) will be sometimes used by renters, short-term ones most likely, so lots of different people. The downstairs will be accessible by us, the owners, and will be unfinished, mostly for storage. I love our woodstoves in the main part of the house for ambiance, but am thinking about something more utilitarian for the possible basement install.

First floor install: advantages include ambiance, heat in the living area, better draw than underground

Basement walk-out install: owner control (keeping newbie renters out of it), can go cheaper/more utilitarian; heat will actually go partly into the owner part of the house, up the stairs.

Would love to hear your thoughts about these options. If in the basement, I gather that the draw would be better if the stack goes up the middle of the house, rather than penetrating the side at the basement level with an outside chase.

Since you are the owner of the house you will be the one in control of the stove regardless of where you place it. For the reasons you mentioned placing the stove upstairs makes the most sense. If you don't want renters firing up the stove you just provide an alternate heat source and tell them the stove is not to be used. I know I certainly wouldn't let anyone burn a stove in my home except me or another family member I knew could properly manage the stove. Even then I probably wouldn't be comfortable with someone else using my stove since each stove is different and even an experienced wood burner can encounter problems with an unfamiliar stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.