UPS/Protection a must!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck_22

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Got up this morning and the UPS fan for the stove is running, that's odd I say to myself, the display panel on the UPS shows 132VAC. I check plugs here and there, same thing. So I call Hydro One and they feel it's abnormal, the very max should not exceed 127VAC. Within 2 hours they show up, check my voltage at the meter, confirmed, too high, check the neighbours and the same thing. They drove off to the sub-station and discovered a faulty regulator, the people closest to the sub were at 140VAC!!! They manually dialed down the max to 125 and the regulator will get swaped out this week. I may just have saved the day for some with TVs and other electronics. Thinking afterwards, what puzzles me a bit is that dont they have an alert system that could have signaled the problem?

They do have an alert system, YOU. I complained about power interruptions for almost three years till one day I was walking the pasture fence and seen several trees with scorched limbs. Took a couple pictures and brought them in. Two days latter the trees are trimmed and power been great coming almost a year instead of the almost daily glitch. The limbs were thirty feet from where they had been inspecting the transformer, power socket meter etc.

Reactions: ScotL
Agree, you are the alert system. had an issue a few years ago with a power surge, National Grid denied it, I showed them the inside of my meter was black, my neighbors meter exploded on the pole, long story short they paid for replacing my appliances and other electronics..

Status
Not open for further replies.