Upper & Lower Level Stoves - How to route piping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Angler62

Aug 5, 2024
My new home plan has lower level stove directly below the upper level stove (both on inside walls greater than 14' from an exterior wall). I know they need separate flues but how do I route the flues and have it look pleasing to the eye on the upper level with two sets of pipes? If routed together, will there be a problem with separation of ceiling spacers, collars, and chimney caps? Stoves will be for emergency backup heating. I live in Georgia. (diagram attached). Thanks in advance for your reply. Angler62

Upper & Lower Level Stoves - How to route piping?

Hmmm…. I have two stoves. One up one down. It’s no fun to run two. I’d just install one upstairs. Take the savings and spend on automatic backup???

Two pipes that close probably need a chase that runs from first floor through the roof and looks like a chimney.

Reactions: Angler62
It will take some careful planning. The basement stovepipe must transition to chimney pipe at the basement ceiling. That means there will be a chimney pipe running up behind the great room stove. Therefore they can not be in the same location as shown in the current plan. One must be offset from the other. The offset could occur in the basement stove pipe so that in the great room the chimney pipe goes straight up behind the stove. This could be done in black chimney pipe or this chimney pipe could be chased in a non-combustible housing. Or locate the basement stove elsewhere so that that chase in the great room above is in a different location where it might be built into a cabinet or bookshelf?

Your idea of a central location for both is good, but the rest of the building design has to support it. Yours does not. You need a closet space or chase to allow the lower stoves pipe to make its way up and you do not have it. When you look at clearances, fire stopping etc you are not going to get a “pleasing to the eye” set-up. Trying to use a “stove-pipe” for an offset downstairs does not work as you have to go to rated class A pipe once you go through a floor or wall and you cannot use that at greater than a 30* off-set.
I think you are best in an either up or down situation with your stove choice and that will depend upon where you are spending your time. You could put a bigger stove downstairs and cut some vents into the upper level. I’ve used a lot of Tjernlund’s Air-shares in this situation or they can be passive.
Consider what you gain by going with only one stove. I can’t tell you how many places I have seen where, “gee, a stove can fit in here.” Yes, but with clearances on pipe, stove, hearth you can end up doing a doe-see-doe with the stove to get through the room.